Highlighted

Recommendations for alleviating soreness (sit bones)

overweight, new bike, sore butt??  Just started to ride on the street and i am sore.

new bike, a commuter, i purchased what i thought was a  good choice of saddle a Brooks B67, soon to arrive. I will have a professional "fit" me but i imagine the pain will still be there for awhile, no magic bullet. Is grin and bear it likely to be a problem for awhile. Your thoughts  an advice please.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Recommendations for alleviating soreness (sit bones)

Hi there @terryjohn!

You are absolutely right that cycling can bring on a little bit of pain in the beginning! Grabbing yourself a new saddle was a great move!  I can attest to the comfort of Brooks saddles and have been riding on one exclusively for the last few years. 

In addition, be sure to take a look at the variety of cycling shorts available to you. A good pair of padded shorts can go a long way. I’ll also add that before chaffing becomes an issue, it might be worth looking at some chamois products!

Happy trails!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes

thank you

Highlighted

@terryjohn as a relatively casual cyclist, I find that my sit bones are pretty sore for the first couple of rides each spring. Typically my second day on my bike is the most painful, although usually within ~15 minutes the pain will dull and I can settle in for the ride. And after those first few rides, my bones seem to have "toughened up" and I'm good to go through the summer and fall. And then I do it all again the following spring! With that said, a good saddle and a good pair of padded bike shorts will definitely help in the process!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

i will be taking your advice

0 Likes
Highlighted

@terryjohn one additional thought on this topic - it's important to pay attention to your body and not ignore or minimize your pain. Feeling sore is one thing, but there's a distinction to be made between discomfort that is okay to push through and pain this indicates something is wrong. That threshold is different for everyone, so just make sure you listen to your body!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members