Highlighted

Recommendation for Co-op CTY hybrid bikes

Interested the hybrid city bikes. How do I best determine the model that can satisfy my needs? I like the suspension front fork, tires for gravel road and capability for speed on the road.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Recommendation for Co-op CTY hybrid bikes

@jpchop Thanks for reaching out!

Based on what you've told us, it sounds like the Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 or the Co-op Cycles CTY 2.2 are going to be the best options for you. Both of them have front shocks to help absorb bumps in the road or gravel, 700c wheels that will keep you moving on the roads, and wider, 40mm tires to help when riding on gravel. You can also lock out both shocks if the riding is smooth and you want to get your speed up.

The main differences between the two bikes is the level of components and gears. The CTY 2.2 has an upgraded shock, wider gearing (9 speeds in the back instead of 8), and shifters and brakes that will be a bit snappier and more responsive. If you live somewhere with lots of hills or deal with a lot of up and down riding the CTY 2.2 would be a good choice with its wider gearing and more responsive shifting and brakes.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Recommendation for Co-op CTY hybrid bikes

Hi, I'm also thinking about getting one of the CTY bikes. I rarely bike now because my existing bike is heavy and biking in the city scares me, but would like to start riding around the city and out on rural roads if I had a bike I liked more. I'd prefer a step-through, but I guess I'd be okay without it as long as the bar is at least a bit lower than parallel to the ground.

I know the CTY 2.2 is good for hills, and I live in San Francisco, but unfortunately I hate the color of the 2.2, and if I'm going to spend that much money on a bike, I'd at least like a color I feel neutral about. 😞 Is the CTY 2.1 decent for hills, or would you really much more strongly recommend the 2.2? 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi there @moonbeanjo!

Thanks for reaching out to us!  Exciting to hear that you want to get back on a bike. 

While the 2.2 offers more gear ratios (27 gears vs. 24 on the 2.1) the CTY 2.1 is still a great performing bike.  They both offer many of the same features that guarantee a comfortable ride.

I am not sure if you noticed but the CTY 2.1 is also available with a step through frame.  Depending on where you land with the color, this might be the best solution for you!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Thank you for your reply. I would have bought the bike during the recent sale if the store was opened for a test ride. I did not want to risk and expense to buy it and not enjoy riding this bike or experience the effort to return it.

Featured