Highlighted

Local Pump Track

I have  a Surly Ogre. The gearing is set up for long hauls, and the bars are the Cowchippers with bar end shifters. I kind of want to mess around on my local pump track but does the geometry of cowchippers make it ridiculous. It feels weird but not sure if I'm just being a baby about it. 

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Local Pump Track

@Bonfire 

Personally, I think you'd look rad on a drop bar Ogre at the local pump track. The trick is to throw a lot of judgmental side eye to the kids with suspension forks. Maybe a t-shirt that says you're training for the Silk Road Mountain Bike Race. If anyone asks, just casually mention that a steel frame drop bar mountain/touring/gravel/bikepacking combo bike is what everyone rides across Mongolia. Every person who has ever started a trend has looked ridiculous at some point! And I can say that with confidence having never started a trend in my life, ever.

I'd love to see a pic of your ride! Bonus points if its a pic of you on the bike, hucking a massive jump at the pump track over a kid on a bmx bike.

John

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

I don't have the fenders or rack on it right now but here ya go! 

It isn't about the side eye as much as the geometry. I feel like maybe I'd have more leverage and be more upright with wider risers. To get to the brakes I'm either choked in narrow or I'm hunched over with my weight more over the bars. 

But **bleep** yeah to these bar types being used all over. I bought this from a guy at Comrade Cycles in Chicago which was started by a dude who has done the Continental Divide trail single speed a few times. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 1.26.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-08 at 1.26.25 PM.png

Highlighted

@Bonfire Such an awesome rig, thanks for sharing!

I, as well, agree that being able to stop is way more important that any amount of side-eye one might receive while riding a bike. My current n+1 obsession for my next bike is the Co-op Cycles ADV 3.1, which is a drop bar, steel, off-road touring bike that runs 50mm tires. However, at this point, I'm still in the 'I really want to need this bike' stage and yet to get to the full on 'need' stage. 

I'll keep dreaming, but thanks for the stoke!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

I mean, if REI wants to send me one to test I'll certainly give it a ride. You know, for the good of the team. 😉

And how the hell do you know if you need it until you have it? N+1/i

Featured