Highlighted

Info on hitch compatibility with the REI Co-op DRT 1.1 rear dropouts

I'm interested in the DRT 1.1 as an option to pull our bike trailer and also provide something fun to ride on its own.  In particular, I'm wondering if you know of any issues that would preclude pulling a bike trailer or if there are any modifications (like a Burley through-axle extension, etc) that I'd have to do to enable the trailer.

We have an Allen Sports trailer that uses a similar attachment as the one posted below. You simply run the skewer through the hole and tighten it in place.  Looking at pics/videos of the DRT 1.1 online, it looks like it should fit, but I wanted to see if there were any known problems with this setup.

Thanks in advance.

We have TrailerHitch.png

0 Likes
Highlighted

Info on hitch compatibility with the REI Co-op DRT 1.1 rear dropouts

@cienski06 Thanks for reaching out!

The Co-op Cycles DRT 1.1 has a quick release skewer in the back and therefore should be compatible with the trailer you have. Generally speaking, through axles will require a longer axle in order to accommodate a trailer hitch and a quick release skewer has enough flexibility with the spring to allow it to work. That does depend greatly on the hitch thickness and trailer manufacturer, but applies generally. The only real way to be sure is to mount it on your bike and see. It looks like there is a good chance you should be good to go with a DRT 1.1. When you go to pick up your bike, take the trailer hitch along with you and the shop tech will be happy to install it for you to confirm that it will work.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members