Highlighted

I'm looking for a good roof rail for my 2 mountain bike.

Hello,

I'm planning to do some mountain trailing next Saturday and I'm looking all over the internet for a reliable roof rail. I will be driving a sedan only so I don't know if this roof rail is more than enough https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-roof-rail-dt1z9955140cb

If you can suggest a real bike rack it would be better. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: I'm looking for a good roof rail for my 2 mountain bike.

@Stifmeisters Thanks for reaching out!

Before we dive into this answer we've got some clarifying questions for you:

• What kind of sedan do you drive? (make, model, year)
  • Is the roof of your car completely blank? (also referred to as a 'naked roof', meaning to racks or rails or tracks or anything)
  • Are you looking for a 'permanent' bike carrying solution or one that is easy to put on and remove?

The roof rail you linked above is a permanent rail system that would require drilling in to the roof of your car to secure it. Once it is on the roof, you would then need to purchase cross bars (and the kits to attach them), and then you could mount a bike rack on those cross bars. Additionally, those roof rails linked above are designed for a Ford Transit Connect van, not necessarily a sedan.

An easier solution would be to purchase cross bars and a fit kit that fits the roof of the sedan, and then mount a bike rack to the roof rail. That would allow you to avoid having to purchase the rail you linked above (plus no drilling!). This solution would be considered 'semi-permanent' in that it stays on the roof of your vehicle (even without the bikes) but you could remove it with a bit of effort and some tools.

The easiest solution would likely be to purchase a trunk mounted bike rack like the Yakima HalfBack 2-Bike Trunk Rack. Unfortunately, we are sold out of all our trunk mounted bike racks online at the moment, however, you can call your local REI store and check to see if they have any inventory in stock.

Hopefully this helps, please let us know if you have any other questions!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members