Highlighted

How do I install a front bike tire with a fork that seems too tight?

Hi, as you can see in the photos below, I'm having trouble installing the front tire. It appears the fork isn't wide enough, to start with, but I'm also having trouble attaching the supplied quick-release bar (which in the bike photo when purchasing did not have this). The bike is the Co-Op CTY 1.1 Step-Through. Please advise ASAP.

IMG_3706.jpgIMG_3708.jpg

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re:How do I install a front bike tire with a fork that seems too tight?

Hey there @scottvadas!

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!  Sorry to hear you are having trouble installing the front wheel.  Thanks for the pictures too! 

Fortunately, we have a video that I think will help you successfully get the wheel on and walk you through installing the quick release.  It can be a little tricky getting the disc brake lined up in the right position but I think the video does a great job showing the steps in detail.  The video covers assembly from start to finish but the wheel installation starts right around the 5:30 mark.

Take a look and let us know if you have any additional trouble!  

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: How do I install a front bike tire with a fork that seems too tight?

Thanks for the quick reply, and I did watch that video previously. It didn't necessarily help with the issue I am having, which is just with sliding the tire into place. I can't even get it to go down far enough without the spokes hitting the fork, so the tire can't even get to a point to rest on anything. In the site's pics of the bike, I see the fork tapering wider as it goes down, but the one I have doesn't taper either way (not sure if that is evident in the pics I posted). Not sure how else to explain. Would more pics help?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re:How do I install a front bike tire with a fork that seems too tight?

@scottvadas Thanks for the follow up!

I am going to tag some of our bike experts here in the Community to see if they have additional advice on troubleshooting this with you.  @REI-JimL @REI-BryanV 

Also, we do have certified bike technicians available via email at cyclinghelp@rei.com.  As we wait to hear from our resources here, it wouldn't be a bad idea to send them an email with your photos and explanation of what is happening.  They are doing their best to respond to customers in a timely manner! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks, I've emailed them as well.

Highlighted

Hello @scottvadas I'm sorry for the install issues. Thanks for including the photos! One thing I like to do is put the quick release through the wheel's hub before I install it on the fork; it helps me line it up. I've noticed it can be a bit tricky on most bikes. 

Have our techs reached out yet since you emailed our cycling help? 

Thanks for your patience! 

Jim 

0 Likes
Highlighted

I think he is trying to tell you that the hub is too wide for the forks. Sounds like they sent the bike with the wrong wheel.

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn
0 Likes
Highlighted

I emailed the techs and was able to schedule a bike repair appointment at our local store, thankfully. Both claim the fork was bent during shipping. The store was able to replace and fix within the day, which was nice (aside from having to drive back and forth to the store 30+ minutes away). 

Appreciate the help!

Featured