Highlighted

How can I get more information about the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 fat tire bike?

Hi

I see a beautiful orange REI fat tire bike, the DRT 4.1, referenced on the Internet. Does REI still make it? If not, why? And where can I get one? Maybe a “Leftover”?
thanks!

hank

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: How can I get some information about the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 fat tire bike?

@HankG 

Hank,

Thanks for reaching out, we're super stoked on our new fat tire bike! It actually hasn't been released yet, but keep an eye out, because it's coming soon. Our Co-op cycles team will be excited to hear that there is some chatter online about this rad bike, can I ask you where you heard about it? The item number is 172-198, which will take you straight to the product page. Keep your eye on rei.com in the coming weeks, it should be available soon. 

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: How can I get more information about the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 fat tire bike?

@REI-JohnJ 

Bikexchange.com has a glowing review.  the link to rei shows the bike but "no longer available," so I assumed it was sold out.  glad to hear the dry 4.1 is coming.  I want one!!  I'm 6'1" and bought an ADV 1.1 this past Memorial Day and I love it and it fits perfectly.  The DRT 4.1 doesn't have a size chart relating to rider height.  Am I a size L on the 4.1?  helpful to know in the time of Covid when we can't try the bike out before purchase.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: How can I get more information about the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 fat tire bike?

@HankG 

Great news! It looks like the REI Fat Tire Bike, the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 is now live on REI.com. If you pick one up come back here and tell us about it!

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted

John I ordered it this morning!!

hank

Highlighted

John

i wasn’t sure of size so I tried to judge by the height based size recommendations on other DRT bikes.  I’m 6’1’ and chose size large.  Fingers crossed.  
hank

0 Likes
Highlighted

@HankG 

That's so good to hear! I have mine ordered as well!

In terms of the appropriate height for you: I think you'll do really well with a large frame. It has a standover height of 30", and with a fat tire bike I always recommend having a little bit more space over your frame. If you are riding on snow or other loose terrain you'll need every inch if you come out of your saddle and put your feet down!

As an example, I am 6' tall but have a pretty short inseam at 30". I get a little more height when I wear shoes, but not a lot. As an intermediate bike rider who often finds himself in technical terrain, I ride a medium frame bike to give me that extra room to come out of the saddle and not hurt myself.

Enjoy your new bike and come back to show us some pics!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-JohnJ I picked mine up today! Apparently the people around the store were commenting on how cool the bike is (I did curbside).

I got a medium based on what you wrote earlier. I’m 5’11” with a 30” inseam. But it feels pretty small, even though the top bar is right at my...inseam when standing over. I also planned on bike packing with it, but I feel like it will seem even smaller with gear on it.

Unfortunately, my REI store doesn’t stock them, so I can’t compare unless I order a large, too, and have it shipped in.

Did you get yours yet? What are your thoughts on sizing?

0 Likes
Highlighted

@ryanjohnson @HankG 

Hey Ryan!

I'm so stoked you got your Co-op Cycles Fat Tire bike! I just picked mine up today too! One thing I noticed right away when I got on it was that the 'cockpit' felt a little small for me as well. When I looked at my other bike, which is also a medium with similar dimensions, I realized that the stem on the DRT 4.1 is significantly shorter than the other one (over an inch), which would explain why it felt a bit 'scrunched up'. The short stem will give you a bit more of an upright position, which can be helpful when riding slowly with a loaded bike in sketchy terrain.

My short inseam means that I have a really long torso and, unfortunately, this will always be a struggle with fitting a bike appropriately. The first thing I did was move my seat back as far as I could. I'm about to take it out for a ride to see what it feels like on trail. I have a feeling I will likely swap the stem out for one that's a little bit longer and that should dial it in for me.

All in all it's another great reason to go into your local REI store and turn some more heads!

Here's a photo of mine kitted out right before I go get it dirty for the first time!

Tigger.jpg

Highlighted

Thank you for the swift reply, @REI-JohnJ.

I'll move the seat back and see how that feels. It is definitely an eye-catching steed!

Do you mind sharing your kit in that photo? I only have side panniers now, so I'm looking at frame, saddle, and handle bar kit right now.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Featured