Highlighted

Help picking the right car hitch for a Honda CRV

I’m in a family of three and we have a crv. I have a hand me down trek that I think is from the nineties and I either ride with my seven year old through the neighborhood or I fold down two of the three back seats and I can get my bike and my kiddo’s into the hatchback/backseat area. I’d like to buy a hitch so I can mount the bikes on the back. I‘m pretty sure I’d like to be able to carry 3+ bikes and to have the style where I can still open the hatchback/trunk but other than that I have no idea. Thank you! 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Help picking the right car hitch for a Honda CRV

Greetings @CaseyL 

We are happy to help you find a hitch rack for your family. The first thing you will want to double check is the size of the hitch on your car. The most common will be a 2in hitch, but there are a lot of 1.25in hitches still out there. It will be important for you to know this as you evaluate your options. 

To allow your hatch the ability to open with bikes still on the car, you are going to want to look for a swing away style hitch rack. This option from Thule and this option from Yakima would work really well if you have a 2in hitch. If you have a 1.25in hitch receiver, then unfortunately the swing away style rack is not available. However plenty of 1.25 racks will hold four bikes and still tilt out of the way unloaded. Here is an example of what I am talking about. 

All of the racks I have linked to come with security features to protect your bikes and have a four bike capacity. 

Feel free to let us know if you have any other questions or want further advice! 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Hi @CaseyL 

Thanks for reaching out to the community. There are several options that might work based off the criteria you provided. One thing to note is the size of your hitch receiver. Some racks will fit both 1.25” receivers and 2” receivers, while others will not. Here are a few options...

Thule Apex Swing (2” only)

Yakima Full Tilt (1.25” and 2”)

Yakima Full Swing (2” only)

Hopefully this gets you started. I would definitely take a look at your hitch receiver to see what size you have and then we may need to explore some other fit options.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted

Greetings @CaseyL 

We are happy to help you find a hitch rack for your family. The first thing you will want to double check is the size of the hitch on your car. The most common will be a 2in hitch, but there are a lot of 1.25in hitches still out there. It will be important for you to know this as you evaluate your options. 

To allow your hatch the ability to open with bikes still on the car, you are going to want to look for a swing away style hitch rack. This option from Thule and this option from Yakima would work really well if you have a 2in hitch. If you have a 1.25in hitch receiver, then unfortunately the swing away style rack is not available. However plenty of 1.25 racks will hold four bikes and still tilt out of the way unloaded. Here is an example of what I am talking about. 

All of the racks I have linked to come with security features to protect your bikes and have a four bike capacity. 

Feel free to let us know if you have any other questions or want further advice! 

Highlighted

Hi @CaseyL 

Thanks for reaching out to the community. There are several options that might work based off the criteria you provided. One thing to note is the size of your hitch receiver. Some racks will fit both 1.25” receivers and 2” receivers, while others will not. Here are a few options...

Thule Apex Swing (2” only)

Yakima Full Tilt (1.25” and 2”)

Yakima Full Swing (2” only)

Hopefully this gets you started. I would definitely take a look at your hitch receiver to see what size you have and then we may need to explore some other fit options.

Hope this helps!

Featured