Highlighted

Getting road tires for gravel bike

I bought this bike: https://www.rei.com/product/159859/co-op-cycles-adv-22-bike back in April and have loved it ever since. Issue is, I wiped out when I was on semi wet pavement and when I spoke to bike shop associate, they told me it was due to the tires being meant for gravel.

I want to get bike tires that can hold up a little rain, and I intend on getting components for a whole new wheel so I can swap it out easily. 

For example, when I wiped out, it had rained the day before but it was sunny and a lot of the rain had dried up. I was barely on an uphill at the drop when I turned my wheel left just a little before the entire bike slipped out from under me completely.

Any advice about this situation welcome!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Getting road tires for gravel bike

@tannersnacks Thanks for reaching out!

We're sorry to hear about your fall. Hopefully we can get you some good info to help you find a solution. The rims that you have on your Co-op cycles ADV 2.2 are 40mm wide, which is on the wider end of the spectrum for 700c tires. As such, most of the options we have available on REI.com for that rim width are gravel specific tires, similar to the ones you have. You're on the right track for setting up another wheel set for city riding, as that will allow you to potentially reduce the width of your rims and use a tire like the Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tire that offers better wet weather performance.

Your best bet is to take your bike into your local REI store and speak with the tech there about what options you have and what will work best with your bike. They will also be able to see many more options available to order to get the best fit for your needs.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Getting road tires for gravel bike

You are looking for road bike tires? If yes, I would recommend going for a 28c tires it is more comfortable as for the brand go for continental GP 5000 or Gator skin. 

0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members