Highlighted

Favorite multi-tool for road rides?

Road riders: any recommendations for a (mini?) multi-tool to take on road rides? Something with a chain tool and fits easily in a jersey pocket.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Favorite multi-tool for road rides?

@WeekendWarrior 

My very favorite is the Park MT-1. I have one for road, one for mountain, and one I often wear as a necklace. There's no chain tool on that model of multi-tool...and frankly, in 30+ years of riding on the road, I have never ever needed to fix a chain. 

I suppose if I were adventure biking or way off in the backcountry on my mountain bike, I'd probably bring a tool with a pin pusher. I like the Topeak Hexus X for that purpose. 

Highlighted

I have a silca and a silca seat roll.  It's better than any seatbag I have ever used and I can keep a multi tool, patch kit, a tube and some cash in it.

seat roll:

https://silca.cc/collections/packs-on-bike-1/products/seat-roll-premio?variant=25057215816

tool:

https://silca.cc/collections/mobile-repair-1/products/italian-army-knife-venti

Highlighted

Overkill!  The multi-tool referenced (and most multi-tools) have a ridiculous number of tools you will NEVER use on the road or trail.  Why on earth would you need 2, 2.5, and 3mm allen wrenches?  And an 8 mm flare nut wrench?  Really!?!  Are you going to use that to open up your hydraulic brake bleed valve, and then...WHAT?  Bleed your brakes on the road?  Just absurd.

Another black mark for multi-tools: you have to finagle the entire set into place just to loosen or tighten one bolt.  Good luck if the screw or bolt that needs attention is not easily accessibleI

0 Likes
Highlighted

Overkill! The multi-tool referenced (and most multi-tools) have a ridiculous number of tools you will NEVER use on the road or trail. Why on earth would you need 2, 2.5, and 3mm allen wrenches? And an 8 mm flare nut wrench? Really!?!  Are you going to use that to open up your hydraulic brake bleed valve, and then...WHAT? Bleed your brakes on the road? Just absurd.

Another black mark for multi-tools: you have to finagle the entire set into place just to loosen or tighten one bolt. Good luck if the screw or bolt that needs attention is not easily accessible!

I have been a professional shop mechanic for over 20 years, and ride regularly on remote, rugged trails.  Here is what I carry:

1. Park or Bondhus metric allen wrench set, 3-8mm.  Easy to remove and use each indiviual wrench, which are long enough to actually do the job.  If you want to save even more  wieght /space, just take the 4,5,and 6, and band them together.  These will suffice for 90% of the fasteners on your bike.

2.  Park compact chain tool.  Small, light, efficient.

3. Small (#1) Phillips screwdriver, to adjust limit screws.

4. At least 2 Park tire levers (the blue ones).

5.  A real spoke wrench, one size Park tool.

That's it for tools, but of course I carry a mini-pump, because they never run out of C02.  I carry a few spare parts, including:

1.  Master chain link (SRAM or KMC) of the appropriate size.

2. Patch kit (I know most riders carry a spare tube, and I sometimes do, but they are bulky, heavy, and...what if there is a recurring cause for your flat?)

3. Derailleur hanger  (if I need this, I've  either crashed really hard or done something stupid---maybe both--- but it beats going 10 miles without a rear derailleur)

4.  Duct tape and zip ties....'nuff said.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@WeekendWarrior 

My very favorite is the Park MT-1. I have one for road, one for mountain, and one I often wear as a necklace. There's no chain tool on that model of multi-tool...and frankly, in 30+ years of riding on the road, I have never ever needed to fix a chain. 

I suppose if I were adventure biking or way off in the backcountry on my mountain bike, I'd probably bring a tool with a pin pusher. I like the Topeak Hexus X for that purpose. 

Highlighted

I've yet to see a *really* mini multi tool that includes a chain breaker, but I have a Topeak Mini 20 Pro, and I do believe it's one of the lightest multi tools available that also includes a chain breaker. It's a great tool and not terribly expensive, and the polished finish is quite blingy. It might be too heavy if you're looking for something along the lines of those really slim multi tools though.

Looks like it may be discontinued, unfortunately. There's one called the Topeak Mini 18, which you might think would be a bit lighter, but it's actually heavier than the Mini 20.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have carried the Topeak Mini 18 Multi-Tool and three plastic tire levels for several years and they have served me well for all road repairs. The Multi=Tool includes a chain tool I have succesfully used. I have recently read a couple recommendations of the Topeak Ratchet Rocket Lite DX Tool Kit and the Pedro's L  Hex Wrench Set, but they don't include a chain tool.

0 Likes