Highlighted

DRT 1.2 Thru Axle Adapter for Trailer Question

Hello REI community.

I just got a DRT 1.2 and I love it. I am at a loss because of how incompatible this bike is with accessories and aftermarket parts. I am trying to attach a trailer to this bike.

Will this fit my bike?

https://www.rei.com/product/145142/burley-thru-axle-adapter-12mm

Bike: DRT 1.2 LARGE SIZE

My axle size is obviously different 1.5 vs 1.75 but this is the type of adapter I would need to fit on a trailer attachment.

20200729_224430.jpgAxle sizeAxle size

Does REI know of a axle that would fit this bike and would be able to accommodate this piece? I am willing to get an aftermarket nut axle in order for it to fit.

Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: DRT 1.2 Thru Axle Adapter for Trailer Question

@Hapakings808 Thanks for reaching out!

To answer you question first, no, that Burley axle will not work for you, as the thread pitch is different and not compatible with your bike. I had this same issue when attempting to connect a Burley trailer to my fat bike. The resource I used with great success was the Robert Axle Project and their Axle Finder Tool. If you enter in the information about your bike and trailer, they will tell you which axle you need. 

Hopefully this helps and you're out riding with your trailer soon!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

@REI-JohnJ 

Thank you so much for this reply. I was able to connect with Tory at Rovert axle project on this. I am happy to report they have what I need in stock! I'd like the share my conversation with Tory here so that any future community members who run into this can reference it.

"
https://robertaxleproject.com/product/12x148-1-75-mm-thread-for-hitch-mount-trailer-long/

That axle

https://robertaxleproject.com/product/axle-spacers/

Then you need a 12mm flat spacer from there

So you will not use the 6mm spacer that comes with KID210 but will have to use the 12mm flat spacer. That will get you within the +/-2mm window with length

"

I will follow up with pictures once I get the parts in the mail to confirm this is the solution. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to write your reply. This will allow my family to get out with our dog on longer rides.

Big mahalo to Tory at Robert Axle Project and to you braddah @REI-JohnJ 

Highlighted

@Hapakings808 

Thanks for coming back to the community with the info! We're glad you got the help you needed!

Highlighted

line_171584290695534.jpg

20200822_122029.jpg

 Mission accomplished!! Following up on my posts above, Robert Axle Project came through with exactly what I needed. Top notch build quality axle, great customer service, fast shipping, fair pricing, easy install. The aforementioned parts above fit my REI DRT 1.2 perfectly and allow for my pet trailer attachment! I included a picture of the installed axle with spacer. Couldn't be happier, and I am so glad I chose REI and came here to ask. Thank you again for the wonderful community support. More family memories on the to-do list. Aloha~

Highlighted

@Hapakings808 

Thanks for circling back here in the community, we're so glad to hear that you're all set up! Love the photos, keep them coming!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Hapakings808 

Also, I'd like to introduce you to @HaveKidsWillTravel! She also rides a DRT 1.2 and has turned it into a full on family adventure rig just like you have! If you want to check out her awesome work (and patience!) you can on her thread DRT 1.2 and Thule Yepp Rack. It sounds like you all could start a DRT 1.2 Family Adventure Club...or at least a hashtag!

0 Likes
Featured