Highlighted

Does the Garmin Edge 130 have a tone alert?

I have a Garmin Varia 510 and a Garmin edge 130 bike computer.  When I am on my bike I do not hear an audible tone when cars are approaching only the visual display on the edge 130.  I have tried numerous settings to no avail.  I really need the audible alert tone.  Does the edge 130 accommodate a tone alert and if so what do I need to do set it up.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Does the Garmin Edge 130 have a tone alert?

@Deputyx3 Good afternoon. The Garmin Edge bike computer is capable of producing tones for the rear radar. In the manual for the Edge, there is a setup procedure. I do understand that some Garmin devices do not come with the full manual. If you do have a full manual, look under "device customization" where you will find a section on turning tones on and off. If not here is the sequence:
Turning the Device Tones On and Off:
Hold Menu symbol.
Select System > Sounds. Then "on"

Please let me know if this helps and if not please reply and I will dig into this more deeply.

Have a great day!

Best regards,

Rick

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

@Deputyx3 thanks for following up with us over email. 

@REI-RickH 

I had already tried that and it didn’t make a difference.  The visual display works fine but there is no audio alert at all that I can hear.  Anything else you can come up would be appreciated.  I am close to giving up and returning the Edge.  Thanks Rick.

Lee

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@Deputyx3 I will tell you what. Before you make a decision on "giving up", let me research the issue a little more deeply.  Technology is fickle and having lived in that business, I know that well. Let me do a little research on this specific issue. It may be a few days but I will get back to you one way or the other. I really appreciate you getting back to me. I always want my fellow outdoor lovers to be safe out there!!

Best regards, 

Rick

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks Rick.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-RickH Hello Rick.  An update for you.  Today when I was biking on a quite country road I believe heard a very faint quiet alert tone from my Garmin Varia/Edge 130.  It was barely audible and cannot be heard if there is normal road traffic.  Just wanted to give you an update as you are doing your investigation.  Thanks Rick.  Lee

0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-RickH Hello,  Would appreciate an update from you.

Lee

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Deputyx3 

Thanks for reaching back out and thanks for your patience as @REI-RickH works on this problem for you. We connected with him today and he is waiting on a call back from Garmin. He did mention a hard reboot/restart of your unit. Have you tried that yet? Rick is off for a couple of days but will reconnect with you here on Saturday.

Thank you again for your patience!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@Deputyx3 Good Saturday morning.  Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you.  Garmin still owes me a call.  Unfortunately, maybe you have noticed, they have been down hard for days now.  I cannot even get updated tracking stats on my Garmin watch!

So let's try something different.  A couple things.  First do you have the Garmin Edge 130 or the Garmin Edge 130 + ?

Also I have found a site that has such amazing detail on Garmin products.  This is the Varia in depth review.  One of the things I did not realize, since I do not own a radar, is that there is a setup on the Edge and a setup on the Varia separately.  The setup on the Varia (done through your edge) shows twice because of the light and the radar both being on the "Light" network.   So please take a look at this.  It is extremely detailed and well written.  If you have already seen this and have executed it once, it may be worth a reset, pairing and setting up both the Edge and Varia then trying again.  If the Tone does not work yet, it may be time to return the Edge.  By the way the reset is not supposed to delete your data. They also have the same type of reviews on the Edge 130 and the newer Edge 130+.

Meanwhile, when Garmin support comes back, hopefully I will get more information.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Very interesting.  Please verify that you may have heard some minor tone outside of the heavy traffic area.  Obviously a loud maybe screaming tone would be more appropriate.  Do not know if the Edge has volume control and I am sure you have already checked but let me know.   Meanwhile last I checked, Garmin is hard down!    Hopefully they will be back up shortly.  Not sure where the data center is.  

0 Likes
Featured