Highlighted

Re: Does the Garmin Edge 130 have a tone alert?

@REI-RickH Hi Rick,  Yes I believe I did hear a very quiet tone one time last week riding on a country road away from normal traffic or other noise.  That is the only time I may have heard any kind of audio alert.  Not a loud enough alert to be of any value for typical riding.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-RickH I heard the alert tone today when totally stopped on a country road and one car approached me.  It is incredibly faint.  Normal road noise and the wind blowing past me totally overpowers the quiet alert.  Is there any way to increase volume now that the alert tone seems to be present but ineffective?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello,  Any word?

Lee Douchkoff

0 Likes
Highlighted

Good morning.  I am actually finally into Garmin!  Kind of.  I left my phone number on their automated system about 1 hour ago.  They said to expect a call back in 30 to 45 minutes.  As soon as I speak with them, I will get back to you.  They understandably are catching up, so I will be patient.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

OK Lee.  It was a little tough to get Garmin to talk me on your behalf but we worked it out.  They have had a tough go of it as of late.  

So here is the story.  They have heard of this as an issue on Garmin Forums, but no one has actually opened a ticket on this so that Garmin can investigate this.  Essentially they said it is a small device with a high frequency audio alert coming from a very small speaker and it may be a problem for some people.  So you have several choices here. 

1.  You can call Garmin.  Select Fitness Trackers, then biking computers  and then wait for product support to get on the phone.  You can then open a problem ticket if you so desire.  They will probably ask you to stand next to a road with your bike in your hands, turn on the radar system and record with your phone to capture the visual and audio response to a car coming.  This will start a process to address the issue.

2.  Email Garmin to start a problem ticket based upon your issue to product.support@garmin.com

3.  Since you have not had the Edge 130 for a relatively short period of time, you can bring it back to REI and return it and try another because it may be defective.  You can trade up to and edge 130+ or another bike computer.

4.  Simply get your money back from REI if it just is not going to work for you.

This is our current electronics warranty statement:  

As our stores are reopening, we’re doing everything we can to make things easier for you. We’ve updated our return policy so any electronics purchased after 12/15/19 and any other merchandise purchased after 3/15/19 may be returned. Please view our Store Locator to check if a store is open for in-store shopping and returns. Everything else is subject to our standard return policy. For your convenience, REI purchases of new products can be returned by mail or at any of our retail stores, with proof of purchase, regardless of whether you made your purchase online, in a store, or by phone.

This certainly does not help you short term but if you at least start a ticket, this issue will get off of the forums and into an actual Garmin investigation. 

I hope this helps!

Have a great day!
Rick
0 Likes
Highlighted

Thank you Rick.  I will figure out what to do next I guess.

Lee Douchkoff

0 Likes
Highlighted

GOOD MORNING Lee.  You may not have seen this Tuesday.  I just noticed I replied to myself when I first posted this.  So please see the following.  I hope this helps.
Rick

OK Lee.  It was a little tough to get Garmin to talk me on your behalf but we worked it out.  They have had a tough go of it as of late.  

So here is the story.  They have heard of this as an issue on Garmin Forums, but no one has actually opened a ticket on this so that Garmin can investigate this.  Essentially they said it is a small device with a high frequency audio alert coming from a very small speaker and it may be a problem for some people.  So you have several choices here. 

1.  You can call Garmin.  Select Fitness Trackers, then biking computers  and then wait for product support to get on the phone.  You can then open a problem ticket if you so desire.  They will probably ask you to stand next to a road with your bike in your hands, turn on the radar system and record with your phone to capture the visual and audio response to a car coming.  This will start a process to address the issue.

2.  Email Garmin to start a problem ticket based upon your issue to product.support@garmin.com

3.  Since you have not had the Edge 130 for a relatively short period of time, you can bring it back to REI and return it and try another because it may be defective.  You can trade up to and edge 130+ or another bike computer.

4.  Simply get your money back from REI if it just is not going to work for you.

This is our current electronics warranty statement:  

As our stores are reopening, we’re doing everything we can to make things easier for you. We’ve updated our return policy so any electronics purchased after 12/15/19 and any other merchandise purchased after 3/15/19 may be returned. Please view our Store Locator to check if a store is open for in-store shopping and returns. Everything else is subject to our standard return policy. For your convenience, REI purchases of new products can be returned by mail or at any of our retail stores, with proof of purchase, regardless of whether you made your purchase online, in a store, or by phone.

This certainly does not help you short term but if you at least start a ticket, this issue will get off of the forums and into an actual Garmin investigation. 

I hope this helps!

Have a great day!
Rick
0 Likes
Highlighted

It appears all garmin connect activities are on hold as it seems they’ve had a denial of service hack

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Featured