Highlighted

CTY Bike Questions

I’m looking to purchase either the cty 1.1 or 2.1 and I have a few questions. 
min 5’10” and the length from my foot to my groin is 33 inches. I wanted a step through bike for outfit convenience. But I’m a little confused as the largest size available is medium and goes to 5’9” on the height chart. Last thing I want is my legs scrunched up while I’m riding.

also I’m not sure I understand the difference between 2.1 and 1.1. Is 2.1 just a newer and improved model?

and finally does anyone have experience with adding baskets to either bike? I will want to buy an attachment and just want one that has the best balance in case I go to a store to buy something. Should I get a front, back, or basket that rests on the wheel front or back? 

thanks! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: CTY Bike Questions

Hey there @mariapavs !

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your questions!

I want to start by saying that the CTY line of bikes are great!  Unfortunately, as you suspected, you really run the risk of feeling a bit too cramped on the step-through series.  You are right that the recommended height max on the medium is indeed 5'9".  From experience, I will say that even at my 5'5", I have often sized up on a bike vs. sizing down.  You do get a greater range with the standard CTY bike vs. the step-through.  

With that being said, if your heart is set on a step-through bike, we can do some research and see what might be a good fit.  I'm going to tag my colleagues @REI-BryanV , @REI-GregM , and @REI-JimL so they can offer some suggestions as well!

To answer your question about the differences between the 1.1 and the 2.1, it is mainly about components.  The 2.1 uses some more advanced (for lack of a better word) components when compared to the entry level 1.1.  For many folks it may not be of the upmost importance even, but it provides some options to you as the rider.  Here is a handy side by side comparison that illustrates the differences.  Specifically on this bike you will see differences in suspension, brakes, brake levers, and even the bike saddle.

I hope this helps and that we can help you find the right bike! 

I will also mention that one more option available to you, outside of the Community is virtual outfitting .  This option can provide you one on one service and get you fully geared up!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Hi there! Thank you super helpful 

question for my inseam though the large bike is at 32 in and if I’m 33 do you think that might be a bit too close? I’m worried if I put my fear down I’ll have to be in soldier position to strictly (lol) to make sure i can stand ok. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @mariapavs first, I'll second @REI-AlyS in that the CTY's are great all-around bikes!

One question that might help you decide between the CTY 2.1 or CTY 1.1 is where do you intend to ride the most? The CTY 2.1 has a suspension fork which you can lock out when you're on smooth roads, or leave open to take out the bumps and vibrations of riding a rough bike path horse trail. The suspension fork is nice to have, but also comes at the price of adding weight (at least 3 pounds). 

If you plan to ride only nice, paved roads the CTY 1.1 is substantially lighter, but will be a rougher ride if you do decide to venture on rough bike paths or have a road with potholes. 

As for the basket, I'd recommend a rear rack/basket if you are talking about getting some heavier groceries, this will make the bike handle a little easier when you have it loaded up. Both bike frames have the ability to mount most rear bike racks, and then you can add a basket. Here's links to a couple examples: rear bike rack  and rear bike basket 

Lastly, and most important, the fit! Most women's specific bikes stop at medium, as after that size a unisex bike model will most likely fit better and be more comfortable. Based on your 33" inseam and height of 5'10" you'd most likely fit a large unisex CTY better. If you'd really like a step-through frame, you could also look at Electra bikes which are a bit more relaxed (similar to a beach cruiser) and have a one size frame. 

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions! 

Jim L. 

Highlighted

Hi there! Thank you super helpful 

question for my inseam though the large bike is at 32 in and if I’m 33 do you think that might be a bit too close? I’m worried if I put my fear down I’ll have to be in soldier position to strictly (lol) to make sure i can stand ok.  What if my inseam is more 32-33?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @mariapavs !

While it is true that you want some clearance between you and the bike for safety, not too much is needed on a road or hybrid bike like this one. You should likely have little trouble mounting or dismounting the bike.

Sometimes with mountain bikes, we recommend more clearance, as dismounting can happen more unexpectedly during that activity. 

As @REI-JimL mentioned, there are some other step-thru options that we could explore. I’m just not sure if they might be more relaxed than what you are looking for. Here is an example of what we are talking about. I own this bike personally in addition to my road bike and I love it.

With all that being said, I do think you will find the large CTY to be a better fit than the medium of that is the direction you go in. 

Hope this continues to be helpful dialogue!

Highlighted

This is super helpful! Now to wait for a few paychecks so I can save up!

thank you!

Highlighted

@mariapavs 

So happy that we could help!  

0 Likes
Featured