Highlighted

Comparison of different hitch mounted, tray-style bike racks

I am looking for a tray rack bike rack.  REI carries the Yakima Hold Up and Dr. Tray.  From what I can gather, Yakima Hold UP is a little more versatile in terms of carrying both road bikes and mountain bikes, and has a separate extension that will allow you to carry 4 bikes, while Dr. Tray is lighter (a plus for me as a woman) but works better with road bikes and only allows a max of 3 bikes (with separate one bike extension.  THere is also the Thule T2 Pro XT.  Reviews on all 3 are mixed, from people love them to people who say they break easily, etc.  But reviews from all time periods so hard to evaluate.  Can a REI staff member (called the help line but person I got has no bike experience) provide any feedback on the above 3 racks, what they have seen or heard from customers, etc.?  Or others using the racks?  I am also curious what people think about how Yakima and Thule compare with Kuat.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Comparison of different hitch mounted, tray-style bike racks

@carolyncox Thanks for reaching out!

All three of the options you have here are great bike racks. Personally, I own a Thule T2 and I have a couple of riding buddies who swear by the Dr. Tray. We have ridden our bikes all over Alaska (and the accompanying rugged roads) and never had an issue with our racks. One of the reasons those two particular racks are popular up here is because they accommodate up to 5" fat bike tires. 

Both the Yakima HoldUp and the Thule T2 Pro XT have optional 2-bike extensions if you need to carry up to four bikes. All three of them will carry road bikes and mountain bikes. The Thule T2 Pro can also adjust for a smaller, kids bike, down to a 20" wheel.

The Kuat Racks are good racks as well. The Kuat Sherpa 2.0 2-Bike Hitch rack is significantly lighter than the other racks you are looking at, however, like the Dr. Tray, it only holds bikes up to 40 lbs (each bike), as opposed to 60 lbs for the Hold Up and the T2. Personally, I don't love having to struggle with 50 lbs of bike rack on and off of my car.  I definitely like to leave it on there once its installed.

Hopefully this helps, don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured