Highlighted

Comparing Cannondale CAADX 2020 vs. 2021 bicycle

Hello,

I compared CAADX 2020 vs. 2021, and noticed some technical differences that I wasn't sure about. I've listed them below:

1. Is the 2021 Tubeless ready ?

2. The Shifters and derailleurs are Shimano 105 vs. Shimano GRX between the 2020 and 2021 respectively. Which one's better and how/why ?

3. The chain is KMCX 11 vs. KMC X10 between the 2020 and 2021 respectively. Which one's better and how/why ?

Bottom line, my goal is to decide to pick 2020 vs. 2021 (seems $200 cheaper than 2020 version), and so your response will help me with that decision. Thank you

Please help.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Comparing Cannondale CAADX 2020 vs. 2021 bicycle

Hey @anil,

I'm going to follow up and find out if the 2021 Cannondale CAADX 1 is tubeless ready. From the information I have, the Schwalbe CX Comp (700x35) K-Guard tires have not changed between the two models, but I am going to confirm that and get back to you once I find out.

With regards to the differences in the shifters and derailleurs between the two models; the 2020 Cannondale CAADX 105 is using the Shimano 105 group, while the 2021 Cannondale CAADX 1 is using the Shimano GRX. I wouldn't say either is better or worse, just slightly different in performance. The 105 group is apart of Shimano's road group, so it's ride and performace is focused more on road riding. While the GRX is apart of Shimano's gravel-riding group, with more of a focus on chain combinations for gravel riding. I want to say, the differences between the two are going to be close and would focus more on the type of riding you are planning. For example, my road bike has a Shimano 105 groupset, and it has offered me reliable performance while riding streets. If you think you're going to spend more time on fire roads, then the GRX might be the better match.

The differences between the chains has to do with the type of drive-train they're complimenting. The KMC X11 is an 11-peed chain for the 11 cogs on the cassette ('20 CAADX 105) while the KMC X10 is a 10-speed chain for the 10 cogs on the cassette ('21 CAADX 1). Each model is slightly different to match the type of anticipated riding between the two. In real world riding, the '20 CAADX 105 can deliver a faster top speed, while to '21 CAADX 1 will respond better to climbing hills. Both will be close in performance, but the CAADX 105 may be a better match for more road riding while the CAADX 1 will match better for "hilly" fire roads.

Hope some of this info helps, and I'll respond back once I know for 100% that the '21 CAADX is tubeless ready.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Thanks @REI-JohnnyB for your reply. This has been a cornerstone of REI to have such knowledgable employees. I appreciate your detailed response.

Highlighted

You are very welcome @anil!

Helping people and talking about gear--this is what we love doing! Also, I have some news regarding the tires. I actually reached out to one of our cycling technicians to better explain why one model is "tubeless ready" and the other is not.

So, both models are using the same tires (Schwalbe CX Comp) and same rims (Cannondale CX 2.0), but the '20 CAADX 105 is "tubeless ready" because the rims had been pre-taped by Cannondale. With that being said, it's a fairly simple process to have the rims taped on the '21 CAADX 1 if you wanted that bike to be converted to tubeless as well. 

I am very sure either one of these bikes would be a great purchase and an absolute joy to ride. Let me know which one you end up with, and feel free to reach out on any future questions!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I tried to purchase the 2021 version and that went out of stock. Quickly after, the 2020 version was out of stock as well. Is there any insight into how soon the bikes will be back in stock ? 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @anil,

I'm sorry to hear that both models are sold out. Right now I don't have any information as to when we might see new replenishment return. I'm going to see if I can find out more details for you relating to the stock of these bikes. I'll let you know once I know more.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Any update on when the 2020/2021 bikes will be back in stock ? Thank you for your help.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@anil Thanks for your patience on this, we're hoping to hear back tomorrow from our buying team with a better timeline. We'll circle back soon, thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@anil Thank you so much for your patience!

Due to increased demand and manufacturing delays, we are experiencing shortages in inventory levels in a few categories, especially cycle, watersports, and camping gear. Unfortunately, we do not have any deliveries of the Cannondale CaadX bikes coming in this year. We are working with our vendors to secure any available stock, but at this time we do not have any orders coming of the CaadX.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured