Highlighted

Buying gear for my brother, the avid outdoorsman

I hike, camp, and kayak. But I know NOTHING about mountain biking or men's clothing (as I am a girl). He lives in Colorado, is always outside, does anything that involves nature, and is very old fashioned/retro. 

Do you have any suggestions as gift items? Specifically mountain biking? 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Buying gear for my brother, the avid outdoorsman

Honestly with gear for a man...perhaps anyone,  a gift card is better particularly now as REI returns are more difficult.  Gear is generally a very specific choice for most people so unless they are there to choose it when you buy it for them or they tell you something specific to get,  you are just setting yourself up for disappointment when whatever you choose is either returned or not used.

I should add that I am not really a fan of gift cards because I think they are a bit of a scam but occasionally they are the best choice.

Better to spend the effort on some personal memento with which to give the gift card...

Highlighted

Total agreement with OG....

Highlighted

I too agree.  @OldGuyot hit the nail on the head regarding outdoor gear being a very personal choice.  One suggestion I might add other than the gift card would be to get him an "experience".  Time at a climbing gym; entry into a bike riding event or guided group hike; a class in outdoor first aid, or orienteering, etc.  REI offers lots of classes and adventures available, and I'm sure there are lots of similar opportunities to be found in Colorado.  Of course, all this is predicated on things returning to normal.

Good luck!  

Highlighted

@HoughtonLikeTheLake @OldGuyot 

O M G! What ‘OG’ said!

under no circumstances buy something you suppose he would like/could use! My storage area is littered with stuff my wife gets me (bless her heart) that will never see the light of a backpacking day!!!

’OG’ I like that...your new trail name, congratulations!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@HoughtonLikeTheLake Thanks for reaching out!

While I will never argue against the merits of a gift card, as a mountain biker I can offer a few items that I would love to receive as a gift:

Also, we have a bunch of cool items that help to celebrate all the fun you can have in Colorado, which your brother may enjoy as well.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @HoughtonLikeTheLake and I love that you reached out for help on this! As s former Colorado mountain biker now living in SoCal, I have some thoughts. Like some of the other folks, I also agree that a gift card can be a great way to go, but I also know that it can feel impersonal.

I love that your brother is old fashioned/retro, because so am I! So here are a couple of suggestions. And since @REI-JohnJ gave you some biking specific stuff, here's a few that are more versatile...

The Patagonia Retro X Fleece Vest looks cool, authentic, and very retro. I love this piece and get compliments on mine all the time.

The Filson Field Duffel is a little on the pricier side, but their stuff is amazing and is meant to last a lifetime. This would be the last duffel for travel, etc that he would ever need.

The Leatherman Sidekick Multi-Tool is my very definition of the best gift -- something you may not buy for yourself but feels invaluable after you get it. Having one of these in your car/pack/bike is like having an extra friend along just in case.

I hope this helps inspire you a little more. If he also likes to enjoy a post-ride drink, let us know for some options there as well!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Featured