Highlighted

Bike Rack Recommendation for e-bike.

Hello,

Thank you for your assistance.  I recently purchased your Electra Townie E-Bike. (Has not arrived yet)

I need to purchase a bike rack. I want to be sure that the two I have isolated for possible purchase will work (fit securely) on my  Rav-4 lift back vehicle. And also are both of these suitable for carrying the e-bike i just purchased?

The two I have narrowed down to are:  Thule Camber 2-Bike Hitch Rack ($269.95) and Thule Helium Pron2 bike Hitch Rack ($399.95).

Thank your for your help.

Sincerely, Patricia Hunt

0 Likes
Highlighted

Bike Rack Recommendation for e-bike.

@Patsy Thanks for reaching out and congrats on the new bike!

If you're wanting to go with one of the racks you mention above, remember that the bike is suspended from the rack by the top tube. If your new bike has a top tube that drops down (also known as a 'step-through'), bear in mind that you will need to use an adapter like the Thule Frame Adapter XT in order to use it with one of those models of bike rack. 

Additionally, you will want to look at the weight ratings of those racks and the weight of your bike. E-bikes are pretty heavy and your model may exceed the weight limit of those bike racks. The Thule T2 Pro XT 2-bike Hitch rack and the Saris Freedom 2 EX 2-bike Hitch rack both are rated for a bike that weighs up to 60 pounds. The Thule T2 Pro comes in two sizes (1.25" and 2"), depending on your hitch size, and the Saris adjusts to fit both.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured