Highlighted

Bike Rack options for a Jeep.

I have a Jeep, it's a hatch back.  I'd like a bike rack that can hold 2 bikes - what are your best choices, and are any of them on sale?  I'm an REI member also. Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Bike Rack options for a Jeep.

@Jodey Great question!

The kind of rack you are looking for is referred to as a 'trunk rack' (whether your car has a trunk or a hatch back). I put your information into the fit tools for each of those brands and all of the options were shown to be compatible with your vehicle, even if they seem to refer to a feature your car doesn't have.

Hopefully this makes sense. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions!

John

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@Jodey Thanks for reaching out and for being a member!

Before we make a recommendation we'll need a little more information about your Jeep. Can you provide the model and year? Also, do you have a hitch on your car? If you can provide that information we can get you a couple of options for you to choose from.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted

It's a 2014 Jeep Patriot.  I do not have a trailer hitch. 

thanks!

Jodey

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Jodey Thanks for getting back to us!

Here are a couple of options that will work for your car:

Additionally, some of these may come in a three bike version, if you are interested in adding another bike at some point. You will also want to take a look at the rack fit guides for each of these brands to find any details of the fit for your car. As an example, the Saris rack requires you to place the bottom feet of the rack on your bumper and, therefore, you cannot open the trunk door when the rack is installed.

Hope this helps, thanks!

0 Likes

Thank you for this information.  However, the first option says it's for a car with a trunk....the model of my car which I said before, a Jeep Patriot, has a straight verticle back, hatch back.  So I still am unclear if these options are suited to my specific car.

thanks,

Jodey

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Jodey Great question!

The kind of rack you are looking for is referred to as a 'trunk rack' (whether your car has a trunk or a hatch back). I put your information into the fit tools for each of those brands and all of the options were shown to be compatible with your vehicle, even if they seem to refer to a feature your car doesn't have.

Hopefully this makes sense. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions!

John

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @Jodey .  I am not an REI employee, but I do own a Jeep, and bikes, and a bike carrier.  You mention that your Jeep is a hatchback.  Which particular model do you own? Do you have a receiver hitch mounted to the frame? If it's a Wrangler, that eliminates a roof-mount rack. Are you looking for something to remain attached all the time, or will you be taking it on-and-off frequently?  If so, do you have adequate storage space when it's not in use.

I hate to be vague, but there are so many options depending upon your individual circumstances that it's nearly impossible to pick just one "best" rack.

Mine is a Wrangler, with the spare tire mounted on the tailgate, which presented it's own obstacles due to the distance fro the body the rack had to accommodate.  I have a 2" receiver hitch, so I opted for an Allen rack that mounted to the hitch, extended far enough to clear the spare tire, and had a pivot to allow opening the tailgate with the rack mounted, and it folds down when not in use, but still mounted to the hitch.  

The easiest to load are the low-profile type where the bike tires sits in a cradle and a retaining bar cinches down onto the crossbar.

The REI folks will are likely to have more information regarding the feedback from customers, as well as sale information.  I just wanted to give you some ideas of what to consider before choosing what's best for you.

Good luck!  And enjoy your Jeeping and your cycling!

0 Likes
Featured