Highlighted

Bike rack advice for carbon bikes

Hello. I have a 2017 Trek Silque S7 women's bike and need to purchase a bike rack.  My car is a 2016 Volvo XC60.  I would love your recommendations - it'd be great not to spend a ton of money. I don't yet have a hitch and I have read in some places that carbon bikes should be placed in frames vs. hitched to one.  Could you please advise? I would probably get a rack for two. 

Thank you! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Bike rack advice for carbon bikes

Hello there @carolynlyo!

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

We would be happy to give you some advice on racks.  Outside of hitch racks, there are trunk racks as well as roof racks.  Do you currently have any type of roof rack installed, crossbars, or flushed side rails?  This information will help us guide you in making a selection. 

I will mention that in terms of carbon bikes, some individuals have concerns about attaching the bike to the rack using the bike frame.  This is exactly how trunk mounted racks work.  With a roof rack and/or a hitch rack, the bike has the option of being attached to the rack by it's wheels.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi, I think I’m too short for a roof rack. So it sounds like I would need a hitch installation. I’m OK with that, so could you recommend one or two specific racks that I could purchase from you guys? Would love to take a vantage of this memorial day sale if possible.

0 Likes

@carolynlyo 

I really like the Thule EasyFold Hitch Rack! Not only is it super easy to use but it will also fit a 1.25” or 2” hitch receiver. They do recommend using it with the Carbon Frame Protector.

I also really like Kuat racks. Take a look at the Kuat Sherpa Hitch Rack

Hope this additional information is helpful!

0 Likes
Highlighted

This is very helpful thank you. I think I would go for the second option; the first is just too expensive. Are there any factors I should consider when thinking about the size of the hitch? You guys don’t by chance install these do you?

0 Likes
Highlighted

@carolynlyo 

We do not install hitches unfortunately. For advice on installation and sizing, I would recommend reaching out to your car dealership potentially. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

HI - I hope you don't mind me asking one more question.  I'm curious about the Thule T2 Pro XT. Would this also be appropriate? 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @carolynlyo!

I do not mind the questions at all!  That rack would also be a great option!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I can agree with that. My brother has that EasyFold. Definitely a must-have.

Featured