Highlighted

Best recommendation - comfortable bike seat and biking shorts?

Hi there!  During this lockdown, I bought myself a bike and a trainer, and I have been riding every day in my office. I ordered bike shorts from Amazon, but they didn't fit. The next pair will not be here for another month. I'm at the point where getting off of my bike is excruciating!  

Can you recommend a bike seat with the most cushion you can find, and also a pair of women's biking shorts? There are too many choices, and I don't know anything about this stuff. I want to be comfortable on my bike!  Can you help?

Thanks so much,

Marti

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Best recommendation - comfortable bike seat and biking shorts?

@martim Thanks for reaching out!

We're sorry you're experiencing pain, that makes it hard to be motivated to get back on the bike! The good news is that you're on the right track and we should be able to take some steps to get you more comfortable in the saddle. A great place to start is our Expert Advice article on How to Choose a Bike Seat. The article talks through some good tips and advice, as well as an in-depth look at some of the features that bike saddles have.

In terms of different saddles, here are a couple of options that may work well for you:

If you're using the stock bike seat that came with your bike, the all of these options will likely give you more support and cushioning that what you are currently using. You do want to bear in mind that it is possible to have too much cushioning in your bike seat, which can sometimes cause discomfort and pressure. Additionally, you could purchase a bike seat cover, like the Bontrager Fitness Gel Saddle Cover or the Bontrager Comfor Gel Saddle Cover. If you go that route you'll want to make sure you purchase the cover that best fits the saddle you have on your bike now. These can be a good short-term solution for discomfort, and tend to work well for shorter rides. Over time, and particularly on longer rides, they can sometimes shift on the saddle.

Here are a few bike shorts options to help keep you comfortable as well:

The padding in a pair of bike shorts is called the 'chamois' and all of these options come with one. The first two are a fully padded chamois, and the Patagonia liner shorts are a much lower profile chamois designed to provide a little bit of comfort but also to be minimally noticeable when worn.

Lastly, if you have any issues with chafing when riding, we also recommend a chamois cream product like Chamois Butt'r or Body Glide Cycle.  

Hopefully this helps, feel free to reach out with any other questions you may have!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

@martim Thanks for reaching out!

We're sorry you're experiencing pain, that makes it hard to be motivated to get back on the bike! The good news is that you're on the right track and we should be able to take some steps to get you more comfortable in the saddle. A great place to start is our Expert Advice article on How to Choose a Bike Seat. The article talks through some good tips and advice, as well as an in-depth look at some of the features that bike saddles have.

In terms of different saddles, here are a couple of options that may work well for you:

If you're using the stock bike seat that came with your bike, the all of these options will likely give you more support and cushioning that what you are currently using. You do want to bear in mind that it is possible to have too much cushioning in your bike seat, which can sometimes cause discomfort and pressure. Additionally, you could purchase a bike seat cover, like the Bontrager Fitness Gel Saddle Cover or the Bontrager Comfor Gel Saddle Cover. If you go that route you'll want to make sure you purchase the cover that best fits the saddle you have on your bike now. These can be a good short-term solution for discomfort, and tend to work well for shorter rides. Over time, and particularly on longer rides, they can sometimes shift on the saddle.

Here are a few bike shorts options to help keep you comfortable as well:

The padding in a pair of bike shorts is called the 'chamois' and all of these options come with one. The first two are a fully padded chamois, and the Patagonia liner shorts are a much lower profile chamois designed to provide a little bit of comfort but also to be minimally noticeable when worn.

Lastly, if you have any issues with chafing when riding, we also recommend a chamois cream product like Chamois Butt'r or Body Glide Cycle.  

Hopefully this helps, feel free to reach out with any other questions you may have!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Hey John - Thanks so much for theses great recommendations! Much appreciated. Stay well, safe and in-shape!  - Marti

Featured