Highlighted

Apps to reduce the boredom of indoor cycling?

I saw in an REI advice article that there are apps to use for indoor cycling simulation. I don’t know what these might be, other than showing your scenery. Does anybody have any suggestions for apps and what they might do? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Apps to reduce the boredom of indoor cycling?

I like to read a goo book.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I use a treadmill rather than a stationary cycle. Same issue, however. So I have a small TV on which I can catch up on "mindless entertainment." I find that makes the time go much faster. Watching the same scenery over and over again would bore me.

...Wanderer
0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks, good idea. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @qsusi

I have been using the app Zwift for the past several seasons with a lot of success! This app allows you to link up your trainer with the app and your efforts on the bike directly link to your performance in the simulation. They have group rides, workouts, and various other challenges. You can also ride on simulations of famous race circuits...etc. 

In addition to Zwift you can check out Trainer Road and Sufferfest. Both are apps more focused on training and less on engaging scenery. All of these apps will require you to have either a smart trainer or speed and cadence sensors on your bike that you can connect to your phone/computer via Bluetooth or ant+. 

Finally, these are subscription based apps. Most are reasonably priced and allow you to stop at any time. I appreciate this since I try and ride on the road as soon as weather permits!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

I just have a stationary bicycle.  I would like something that shows me scenery and also directions like to imagine I'm going up hill so that I  apply resistance to simulate a hill.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@qsusi I have a friend who would watch the Tour De France as he rode on his trainer at home to entertain himself and use the hills as the time he would climb or go downhill. Maybe that'd be fun for you too! 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Qsusi, you should try the FulGaz app.  They have footage from all over the world.

0 Likes
Highlighted

My husband also uses Zwift and really likes it.

Highlighted

Another good option is an app called FulGaz.  They have scenery and topography from all over the world, so you can pair it to a Wahoo KICKR and it will provide the same resistance as riding through the Alps or along the coast of California, for example.

0 Likes
Featured