Highlighted

Advice on replacing my chain

I've replaced the chain once so far on my Novara Buzz '16, but it was a bike mechanic who did it for me.  Now I need to replace my broken chain myself but you don't carry the original KMC Z99 chain.  The closest you have is the Shimano XT HG93.  The specs make me think that it will be okay, but since the product page for it on your site calls it a "narrow" chain, and another vendor says that it's "optimised for 9-speed Super Narrow HG drivetrains", I need your expert advice to tell me if the 6.57mm chain width will work on my stock Shimano derailers that held the 6.6mm pin-width KMC Z99 chain just fine. 

Specs for my original chain from cyclingdeal.com.au:  KMC Z99 for Shimano Sram 9 Speed Chain

• StretchProof.
  • Speed: Shimano Sram 9 Speed.
  • Bull's-Eye Pin Riveting.
  • Pin Length: 6.6 mm.
  • Weight: 280 grams.
  • Length: 112 Link.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Advice on replacing my chain

Hello there @MxnWhoWalks!

We would encourage you to take advantage of the advice available from our certified bike technicians!  They can be reached via email at cyclinghelp@rei.com!

In addition, some of our stores are offering contactless bike shop services now.  I would recommend taking a look at the list to see if your local store is currently listed and connect with the technician.  If your store is not yet listed, those two pages I linked are the best resources for updates.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: Advice on replacing my chain

@MxnWhoWalks You should be fine. When it comes to chains, it's basically just matching the number of speeds to what's on your bike, the measurements are all pretty standardized.

The 6.6 figure is likely just 6.57 rounded up. Even if it's not, compare that to the widths of 8-speeds (7.1mm) and 10-speeds (6.2mm). Comparing to the 9-speeds, that's more than a 10x larger gap than between the two chains you're looking at. The 0.03mm difference is nothing.

0 Likes