Highlighted

What are your favorite underrated local climbing areas?

We all know of Yosemite, Red River Gorge, Indian Creek and they are great for a reason, but what are some of your favorite underrated, but awesome climbing area's that don't get the love they deserve? 

A local one for single pitch trad here in Georgia that gets no love is Lost wall. Ton's of great single pitch trad routes and no crowds.

Highlighted

Re: What are your favorite underrated local climbing areas?

@NickK , I love this question!  As a climber from the Midwest, I am usually traveling to the more well-known climbing areas Red River Gorge KY, Boulder CO, even Devils Lake WI.  But an amazing area that doesn't get much love is in my new home state of Iowa. Shockingly good sport climbing that not enough people take advantage of.  The most user-friendly area is "Wild Iowa / Pictured Rocks" near Monticello IA.  There are a few other areas near there as well so one could make a nice climbing trip out of it.  

Thanks for the great question, can't wait to read more!!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

I've kinda fallen into love with The Needles of South Dakota.

Highlighted

+1 on the Needles, expecially because o their traditional heritage (Herb and Jan Conn). Also consider Baboquivari Peak in southern Arizona- all multo-pitch stuff.

0 Likes
Highlighted

My local climbing area isn't underrated, but if you're in Los Angeles definitely visit Stoney Point 🙂 

My blog parttimeclimber.com is a place for all part-time climbers.

Featured