Highlighted

I climbed outside for the first time!!!

I always liked climbing but taking it outside really changes everything. We checked out Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Arkansas and will def be going back again. I can't stop thinking about it!

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
Highlighted

Re: I climbed outside for the first time!!!

Thats awesome. Transitioning from the gym to the crag is a lot of fun. Just remember, safety first. Helmets become really important, for both the climber and belayer. Have fun!

Highlighted

That's awesome! Keep on climbing and getting strong for the upcoming season!

Highlighted

Congrats! I’ve never been to Horseshoe Canyon, but I’ve heard it’s a blast. Lots of well-bolted 5.8s, 5.9s? Must have been pretty warm though!
0 Likes
Highlighted

@McEll Yes! They even had some bolted 5.4/5.5 routes which I’m sure are just stairs, but probably cool to learn to lead on? I did a 5.6, two 5.8s, and a 5.8+. They have harder routes too but all of the rock seemed really great. It was super hot and then rained. I’m posting pics to my tumblr over the next few days if you want to check it out. Great hiking too. 

@Mertensia I think Green Goblin maybe? There was a 5.8+ west of the camping I believe that I really loved but can’t remember the name. It starts with a vertical crack that you need to do a weird sidepull to get up. It almost seemed like it had 2 cruxes. Over all I was just happy to get up any of them. I did my first 5.10 in a gym recently so I wasn’t sure if it was even worth going. It was for sure

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
Highlighted

Great work! I'm excited that you got out there! What was your favourite route?

Highlighted

Congratz!  Climbing outdoors can be a lot of fun.  There is a lot of great climbing in that area.  Look into Fern and Stack Rock if you are interested in branching out.

Highlighted

Awesome!!! The first time I ever climbed was outdoors (multi-pitch), and I've been completely hooked ever since. Finding good outdoor climbing mentors is key, as is taking a few initial courses through a guide service. Learning the basics and practicing until you've got them in your muscle memory will serve you well. (All things recommended to me back then, and I'll forever be grateful for all of the sage advice.) 

Featured
Top liked members