Highlighted

Suggestions for replacing a Half Dome 2 Rainfly?

I love my half dome 2 tent but I’ve lost my rainfly. Everything I’ve read says REI never sold that piece separately. 

1.) anyone have a lead on a replacement? Happy to purchase

2.) suggestions for an alternative? Given the small size of the tent I’d love to hear what’s working for others. 

thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Suggestions for replacing a Half Dome 2 Rainfly?

Hi @Jongilman87 ,

We are sorry to hear that you’ve been separated from your rainfly!  You are correct that this is not a piece of gear we sell separately. We hope to hear how other members may have solved this problem. Here are a couple of other posts you could check out for ideas:

It seems as though the fastest solution is to purchase a lightweight tarp and work to get it arranged to cover your tent body. A product like the REI Co-op Quarter Dome SL Tarp or the MSR Thru-Hiker 70 Wing Shelter might get the job done and have you back on the trail quickly.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@Jongilman87 one note of clarification - we have learned that Rainy Pass cannot make a new rainfly; they can only repair damaged ones. From their website:

A note about rain flies: We get many inquiries about replacing lost or damaged rain flies. We can repair most problems on a ripped or damaged rain fly, but we CANNOT make you a new rain fly from scratch. We suggest checking out eBay or craigslist to see if you can buy the rain fly for your specific tent model from a private seller.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

all you need to do is purchase a nysil, or other material, rectangular tarp and stake the corners down, it will work perfect.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

Phil and/or REI,

Does anyone have any information available on the size and shape of the original rain fly?  The REI half Dome 2 circa 2003 we still have had a great vestibule setup but the dimensions are unknown (threw it away in anger over the deteriorated PU coating.). I could go with the substitute tarp method if I had the dimensions.  Thanks!

Richard Aguirre

Featured