Highlighted

Roof Rack options for a 2014 Toyota Prius

Greetings,

I am looking for a roof rack that will fit my Toyota Prius 2014. I have been checking out the market for cheap options but after thinking about it I have decided to buy a decent pair, something well built that will last a lifetime. For now I would like it to hold a cargo box, but at some point once everything calms down I would like to put a tent for roadtrips. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Roof Rack options for a 2014 Toyota Prius

@martinjperez1 Thanks for getting back to us with more detail!

To get the crossbars on your Prius you will need:

This system is rated by Thule for 165 lbs. That weight rating is what is known as dynamic weight, or how much it can hold while the vehicle is moving. Static weight is how much the rack system can hold when the vehicle is not moving. Typically, the dynamic weight is the most important rating to focus on because the weight does not change when the car is stopped or in motion. However, when considering a roof top tent, both of these ratings become important because when the vehicle is stopped you are adding significant weight to the system when you get into your tent at night to sleep.

With a 165 lb dynamic weight load rating, this rack set up will handle most all roof top tent options. You will want to look at your user manual for your vehicle to try to determine what the load rating is for your car. If it isn't listed there you may need to reach out to Toyota directly.

A couple of options to look at would be:

Both of those tents are small enough to not be overwhelming on the top of your car, but also pretty lightweight at right around 100 pounds.

Hopefully this helps, please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Roof Rack options for a 2014 Toyota Prius

@martinjperez1 Thanks for reaching out!

Before we can give you recommendations for your car, we have a few clarifying questions for you:

1. Which Prius Model do you have: Prius 5 door hatchback, Prius C 5 door hatchback, or Prius V 5 door wagon?
  2. Do you have a 'normal' roof or a 'glass roof'?
  3. Do you have a size in mind for the cargo box?

These questions will help guide us to the correct options for your vehicle. Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-JohnJ 

1. 2014 Prius 5 door hatchback

2. Normal Roof

3.  I am contemplating a THULE Weekender Roof Top Cargo Carrier

55.5 inches long, 38 inches wide, 14 inches high with 13 cuft capacity. 

But I am still searching for other options. Interms of a camping tent, I have not looked into it yet.

Thank you very much for your time.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@martinjperez1 Thanks for getting back to us with more detail!

To get the crossbars on your Prius you will need:

This system is rated by Thule for 165 lbs. That weight rating is what is known as dynamic weight, or how much it can hold while the vehicle is moving. Static weight is how much the rack system can hold when the vehicle is not moving. Typically, the dynamic weight is the most important rating to focus on because the weight does not change when the car is stopped or in motion. However, when considering a roof top tent, both of these ratings become important because when the vehicle is stopped you are adding significant weight to the system when you get into your tent at night to sleep.

With a 165 lb dynamic weight load rating, this rack set up will handle most all roof top tent options. You will want to look at your user manual for your vehicle to try to determine what the load rating is for your car. If it isn't listed there you may need to reach out to Toyota directly.

A couple of options to look at would be:

Both of those tents are small enough to not be overwhelming on the top of your car, but also pretty lightweight at right around 100 pounds.

Hopefully this helps, please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions!

Highlighted

@martinjperez1 You may have to check out 4WheelOnline. They have countless accessories and gears for various vehicles. They'll even give you a great deal for it.

0 Likes
Featured