Highlighted

Re: Replacement rain fly: Half Dome 2 Plus

@judyfiat1  This is the thread I was talking about. Lots of great info here!

John

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Same issue. 2010 Half Dome 2+. Has worked flawlessly for 9 years. Then a month ago went camping to find out the rain fly had totally failed. Thought I made a mistake setting it up first, then realized the rainfly had gone bad. Slept with a hoodie over my face at night as I felt like I had learned enough about what waterboarding might feel like after about 10 minutes. So I guess I'm going to go down this repair rabbit hole against my better judgement (3 young children and both mom and dad work full time in public ed so time is not a commodity I have a lot of...)

@xleafr can you tell me more about the vinegar rinse (i.e. rough proportions, how long it soaked, did you hand wash some or just soak, etc)? Also, when you ran it through the washing machine did you use any detergent or vinegar solution? I'm going to go this route and set the washer to the "hand wash" setting with a deep water rinse. Just wondering if I should put anything in after the vinegar soak.

@REI-JohnJ another plug here for being able to buy a replacement fly in the future as my tent and footprint are still in perfect working condition. 

Regardless, appreciate the discussion here.

Highlighted

1006181444~2.jpg

Same here,  window dry rotted, gone. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Same experience as others...the half-dome rainfly is sticky and deteriorating.  I visited REI today to see about buying a new one and was told to check online.  Sounds like checking online is a no-go.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

@ColleenB Thanks for coming to the community!

While we do not sell replacement rainflys, this is definitely the thread you want to read through to figure out the steps to clean the sticky and deteriorating material off your tent and then reapply a seam sealer and waterproofing to bring the fly back to life. I'm sure @xleafr would be willing to answer any questions you might have.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi all-  Just jumping onto this thread.   I don't have a deteriorated, I just lost it in a recent divorce 😕 (lol) and I've been trying to find a replacement.  I love this tent and hope to keep it going.  I just used it with no fly on Mt. Whitney last week! -- unusually high warm temps allowed us to not use fly.

Anyway - from reading the thread, it doesn't look like much luck for finding a replacement, but I wanted to jump on here to add to the 'demand' so to speak.

Cheers

-Patrick

Highlighted

Same situation. I love my half dome 2 tent (2006ish?) but the rain fly is terrible. It became sticky, then the coating started  flaking off. Now the door ties and Velcro straps have all fallen off. I haven’t been caught in the rain with it, just used it for added warmth, but I don’t trust it to be waterproof at this point, and I’m not sure I want to go through the hassle of resealing it myself, as I’m in the market for something more lightweight anyway to do longer backpacking trips (I’m small, I need the lightest weight possible). If there was a replacement rain fly for my beloved half dome tent, I would be first in line to buy it. 

Highlighted

I also have an early 2000s (2007ish??) Half dome 2+ tent which i love. My rain fly rotted after living in outdoor storage for 3 years while I lived in a small apartment in Houston. I am currently using just a tarp stretched over the tent, but it makes getting in and out of the tent a hassle. I can't believe a company like rei sells replacement footprints but not rain flies. Adding my request to the long list - please sell replacement rain flies! 

Featured