Highlighted

Replacement rain fly: Half Dome 2 Plus

Hello.  We have the older version of the half dome 2 plus.  The tent is still in great shape except the rain fly has completely deteriorated.  Do you know the dimensions of the rain fly on the older model?  I appreciate your assistance.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Replacement rain fly: Half Dome 2 Plus

Hey there @KA!

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.  Can you give us a few more details on the tent you have?  Perhaps what year you purchased it in, so that we can try and get some info for you?  

Looking forward to hearing back from you and hope that we can get you some more helpful information!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Sure.  I believe we purchased it in 2004.  It has been on many trips with us and it is still going strong.  We love it but for the rain fly issue.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

@KA Thanks for the follow up. 

Let me see what we can find out and we will update you here!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Hello.  Just following up on this inquiry.  Have you heard any news?

0 Likes
Highlighted

@KA Thank you for your patience as we tried to see what we could find out for you!

Unfortunately, a replacement rainfly is not an item that is available to purchase on its own. One option would be to purchase a lightweight tarp like the REI Co-op Quarter Dome Tarp, but that would require a bit of work to figure out how to pitch and stake it out to be most effective.

When you say that your rain fly is deteriorating can you elaborate a little bit on that for me? Does that mean that the fabric is wearing out and becoming threadbare and/or has holes in it? Maybe the seams are coming undone? Or does it mean that water is no longer beading up on it and/or the seam sealing isn't working any more?

The reason I ask is that if it is a waterproofing/seam sealing issue it might be easily remedied with some after market products like these to add water repellency and retreat the seams. There are also many products available to repair holes, tears, and seams that can give your rain fly new life.

You also might find value in a conversation I had with another member of our community about a tent issue. You can find that conversation here

Hope this helps, thanks for reaching out!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

I have a 2011?  version of the half dome 2 plus. 

Agreed, my rain fly is sticky in ALL of the inside. I did not know I was supposed to store it loosely.  I kept it nice and tight in storage. 

THe actual inside tent is still great. 

I assume my Rainfly is not fixable. 

I don't think it will be worth it for me to spray etc the inside. 

Highlighted

@TroyInSanDiego 

We're sorry to hear about your tent rainfly. If you are interested in attempting to repair it, I recommend reading this thread about making a solution of water, dish soap, and isopropyl alcohol in order to remove the sticky residue before re-applying a coating and seam sealing your rainfly.

Hopefully this helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-JohnJ  I too have a half dome tent I have used in a few years in storage and want to use it next week, the rain fly window is completely deteriorated and the fly is all sticky. Tent is in great shape and used less than ten times. I’m wondering about a secondary mini cover/tarp for the window or just a whole new fly. 

Highlighted

@Larbar 

Sorry to hear about your rainfly. Question: has the window fallen apart (i.e. is there now a hole in the fly where the window was?) or is it intact, just discolored or faded? If it is completely gone and there is a hole in the fly, you can use a piece of plastic (such as tyvek or the clear painter's tarp material from a hardware store) and some fabric glue to manufacture a fix. If it is just not functional as a window then you may be able to at least clean off the sticky part of the inside and still use it.

In terms of the 'stickiness' of the rainfly, I encourage you to check out the above-mentioned thread about a solution of dish soap, warm water, and isopropyl alcohol to remove the sticky residue. Afterwards you will need to retreat with some of the product listed in that thread.

While do not have replacement rainflys available for purchase, you can always keep your eye out on our Used Gear site or at your local REI Store for a garage sale where you may be able to find a 'new' rainfly for your tent.

Hopefully this helps!

0 Likes
Featured