cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Replacement for the REI Taj 2/3 style tent???

Long ago and far away I bought the REI Taj 2 tent. Lasted for ages and I loved the width at the shoulder area. It was a 3-person but with 2-people it offered great storage space on each side for the sleepers.

Once it started having issues I got the REI Taj 3 and it was OKAY - not as easy to setup/take down as the 2. But then after only 3 years it had rain fly seepage issues.

Now I cannot find a suitable similar tent. REI has their Arete ASL 2-person but it is smaller than my likes for car camping. 

Does anyone know of other "6-sided" 3-person tents that offer good shoulder space like the Taj???

I've looked as some 4-sided tapered tents such as the Big Agnes Copper Spur but do not find them as nice.

thank you

Bill

0 Likes

Re: Replacement for the REI Taj 2/3 style tent???

Smaller hex tents are not really a thing any more. 

I would look for 3 person tents.  Generally two person tents only have enough floor space for two 20 inch sleeping pads if they are tapered.  If they are rectangular you might fit two 24 inch sleeping pads. A 3 person tent used for 2 will fit either width regardless and still have space inside the canopy for gear or whatever.

For car camping where weight is not a primary criteria I would consider a polyester tent rather than sil-nylon like the Copper Spur.  Polyester does not sag in the rain. 

The REI Passage 3 is polyester, fairly inexpensive and seems quite roomy.  If you get the footprint you can use it is a quick setup shelter in places where the bug net canopy is not needed (eg a beach day.) 

The REI half dome 3 is another possibility for $80 more.  It is is nylon but is a little larger and has some nicer features.  It has slightly more verticalized end walls which are a bit more livable because you tend not to touch the canopy with your head or feet so disturbing the condensation accumulated on the fly.

Both have two doors and two vestibules which makes it convenient to use for two. 

There are many similar tents from the other tent makers.

I do not have either of these so just going by the description and reviews. 

I do have a Taj 3 which I use for car camping, generally for 2,  and a Copper Spur UL2 gen 1 which I have used for backpacking for 1 and 2 people although I now use a Tiger Wall UL2 for backpacking also for 1 and 2 people.

0 Likes

Hello OldGuyot -  I appreciate the tip about polyester (vs nylon). I do look at 3-person tents as I am car camping. A bit too old and way to fat now to hike 😞

The Taj has such great room at the shoulder area due to being 95" wide there. Makes it great for putting shoes, laptop, water bottle, etc overnight. If also has some very steep walls - pretty much all sides.

I'll add this additional info:

I also have the Marmot Limelight 3-person with a 96"x68" floor. But choosing to sleep the 96" direction makes it narrow for storing items during the night. And great thing is this tent has very steep walls for the first 2 feet so it feels roomy inside.

I just tried out the ALPS Lynx 3 with its 90"x84" floor. If it had the very steep walls as does the Limelight it would have been good but as is it seemed badly closed in. Took it back to REI.

Really I hope to find something with the 6-sided shape of the Taj. Why oh why does REI not make these anymore...

thanks

Bill

0 Likes

If your Taj just has a few seam leaks you might consider appling some seam sealer. If the seam tape is coming off you can use seam sealer to stick it back.  There might even be a repair place that will do it for you.  If you really like the tent and it is otherwise in good condition it may be worth it to you to pay for that.

0 Likes

@qb looks like you got some solid advice from a fellow camper here!  I remember the Taj well and am disappointed that you are having trouble finding an equivalent.  My first thought was the Marmot Limelight, but i see that you already have that tent. 

My advice would be to look at some of the companies that really experiment with tent shapes and therefore may give you the little extra space you are looking for.  You might find a win with Nemo (galaxi), Big Agnes, or Kelty (gunnison).  I also spotted the Marmot Thor, which might be more tent than you're looking for but worth mentioning.  Also, if you just want to see a cool, spacious tent, look up the North Face Golden Gate.  I stumbled upon that and may need it for myself now!

Hope any of this helps and you keep enjoying your time outdoors!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes