Highlighted

Propane to Butane Conversion: How do I run a propane stove with a butane gas canister?

Hi, I have a bunch of camping products/stoves etc that run off the 1lb green propane tanks.  Is there a converter to allow them to run off the same canisters the MSR pocket rocket 2 uses?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Propane to butane conversion

@DKNYMD Thanks for reaching out!

The quick answer is yes, there is a converter that allows you to run a gas canister with a Lindal Valve (MSR, Jetboil, Snowpeak, etc) on a stove that normally takes a 1lb propane canister. Unfortunately, REI does not carry that converter, only one that does the opposite (allowing you to use a 1lb propane canister with your Lindal Valve stove), which was linked in the comment from @Philreedshikes. If you google 'Lindal Valve to 1lb Propane converter' you'll find a trove of options available. You want to make sure the one you purchase is converting in the correct direction (such as the one in the other link from @Philreedshikes), as both Lindal to Propane and Propane to Lindal are likely to pop up in your search.

@Philreedshikes @hikermor It is our understanding that these types of converters are often popular for trips and expeditions where the certainty of fuel types is less reliable, such as international trips or remote overlanding expeditions. They are less so in the U.S. because both kinds of fuel canisters are readily available in most places.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

this is only a guess, since you didn't give a model or photo of the valve, and there are thousands of variances.  If it's anything like the off the shelve coleman stove, then yes, and it seems REI carries that valve adapter...who knew!

https://www.rei.com/product/129671/kovea-brass-isobutane-to-lpg-propane-adapter?CAWELAID=12021789000...

hang on, going out to the garage to verify that it actually works...

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

Ok, I'm wrong this won't work.

Can you post a photo of the camp stove you are trying to connect a canister stove to? thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted

ok, I think this one may work

Camping Stove Adapter LPG Converts/use a Lindal Valve Canister Gas for PR

https://www.ebay.com/p/10032375512?iid=153888132873&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-...

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks so much for your reply.  Iv'e tried to post pictures, but without success.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Fuel Canisters.jpgFuel.jpgStove3.jpgStove 2.jpgColeman stove.jpgStove.jpg

0 Likes
Highlighted

The first 2 pics are of some of the commonly available fuels here in Israel (they are either butane, of butane propane mixtures). As you can see, my MSR whisperlite fits fine.  The last several are of my "off the shelf" Coleman stoves, commonly available in the US. 

Again, thanks to everyone for the replies.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I must admit I am puzzled - why would you want to do this?  The green tanks are generally a much cheaper source of fuel,but weigh more - not really suitable for backpacking or hiking,but then neither are the appliances which they fit'

A burner head for the iso-butane canisters isn't very much coin.... Several different brands are available. My Pocket Rocket has given good service for about twenty years.

Highlighted

Me too.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I wish I didn't have to do this, but since moving to Israel, I have learned that the green propane tanks aren't sold here.  I have no choice but to use butane, isobutane, or a propane/isobutane mix. 

0 Likes