Re: Propane to butane conversion

@DKNYMD Thanks for reaching out!

The quick answer is yes, there is a converter that allows you to run a gas canister with a Lindal Valve (MSR, Jetboil, Snowpeak, etc) on a stove that normally takes a 1lb propane canister. Unfortunately, REI does not carry that converter, only one that does the opposite (allowing you to use a 1lb propane canister with your Lindal Valve stove), which was linked in the comment from @Philreedshikes. If you google 'Lindal Valve to 1lb Propane converter' you'll find a trove of options available. You want to make sure the one you purchase is converting in the correct direction (such as the one in the other link from @Philreedshikes), as both Lindal to Propane and Propane to Lindal are likely to pop up in your search.

@Philreedshikes @hikermor It is our understanding that these types of converters are often popular for trips and expeditions where the certainty of fuel types is less reliable, such as international trips or remote overlanding expeditions. They are less so in the U.S. because both kinds of fuel canisters are readily available in most places.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Thanks so much. I found what I needed.
Highlighted

@DKNYMD Hi, can you please share the solution you found. I'm having the same issue here in South America. No green propane being sold either. Love my Coleman stove, don't want it to go to waste. Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Propane to Butane Conversion: How do I run a propane stove with a butane gas canister?

Using adapters in order to use a stove for gas it is not intended for can be dangerous and you should use caution. 

One issue is the adapter fit.  Extra joints are extra places that can leak.  It is a good idea to use soapy water to make sure the adapter is not leaking and ensure that you can reliably tighten it to prevent leaking using only reasonable hand pressure.

Probably using butane/isobutane on a propane stove is ok since butane/isobutane canisters are at a lower pressure.  A possible issue is that the stove may not burn properly or may not stay lit resulting in a gas leak.  I think it is unlikely but something to watch for.  In any case it is not advisable to do this indoors.

Of more concern is using pure propane on a stove intended for butane/isobutane.  This may require you to keep the stove valve well under the maximum to avoid a flare up particularly in hot weather.   Non regulated stove valves limit their maximum output by the jet size so if you use a higher pressure canister then it may push out more gas than the stove is designed for.  You will need to judge and keep the valve in a "safe" range.   Regulated stoves should handle this better in theory but it is still wise to use caution since the regulator will be optimized to a design pressure range and it is possible that it can be overwhelmed or get stuck if that is exceeded.

0 Likes
Featured