Highlighted

Percolators and stoves

Hello!

I am looking to purchase a new percolator both for use while camping (preferably compatible with use in an open flame) and for daily in-home use. I currently have one that has a plastic topper...which is now melted after I accidentally left it on the hot stove top..... (bonus points if its Jill-proof, too). 

I am also looking to purchase a stove for camping/backpacking with a compatible pot. I have previously always cooked over an open fire, which is great, but sometimes proves difficult/excessive in certain situations. I usually solo camp with my dog so it does not need to be anything extravagant. Just enough for me to boil water/cook meals/etc. 

Let me know if you have any suggestions or further questions! I appreciate you guys being available during all of this!

Jill 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Percolators and stoves

Hi @jthomason412 and I love your questions -- mainly because I love the outdoors, coffee, and eating. So let's see what we come up with!

First, percolators. Full disclosure, it's not my favorite way to make coffee, so if you want other suggestions let me know (I'm a snob, I know). But you asked about percolators, so let's talk. All of the models that I have seen have the plastic top so that you can see the color of the coffee to know when its done. So, none will be totally Jill-proof 😆. However, I really like the construction on the Stanley Adventure Percolator , and it gets bonus points for having a sleek look.

Now, for stoves you have tons of options. Check out this article on choosing a stove and this one on cookware. You basically have the option to get a stove and cookware separately, such as pairing a MSR Pocketrocket Deluxe with a GSI Microdualist Cookset , or going with an all-in-one system like the Jetboil Flash . Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages. For ease of use, the all-in-one systems from Jetboil, MSR, etc... make it pretty darn easy.

I know, that's a lot of information. Let us know if you need us to boil it down (yep) for you.

Have fun out there!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Percolators and stoves

I have a Jetboil and it’s great for simple camping and backpacking. If I’m off for a quick overnight trip on the trail, I’ll always pack my Jetboil and some Mountain House freeze dried meals and be set for food. I actually take it for the convenience of boiling a quick cup of water for tea on just about every trip (even car camping trips where I take a full stove)! My guilty pleasure is taking it on hikes to boil water for a shin ramen cup at the end 😂. I do want to note that not all jetboils are created equal. Some have temperature dials where you can really adjust the intensity of the heat for actual cooking. Others are best for simple water-boiling.

I know jetboil has a little coffee press. I recognize that this is not what you’re looking for at all, but just spouting other coffee-related knowledge I have 😅

0 Likes
Featured