Highlighted

My Quarter Dome SL1

The first time out on an overnighter I started setting up camp as it was getting dark, I was at 9,735' just off the Rim to Reno trail.  As I set up my tent, thanks to lots of practice in my backyard, I realized the ground was soft humus under a long-standing tree canopy.  Fortunately, I had the good sense to gather up heavy rocks while there was still enough light to see & place them on top of all 10 stakes.  Shortly AFTER accomplishing that task, Mother Nature starting blowing some strong gusty winds that shortly turned ferocious & lasted for hours.  My tent did its job of protecting me from the cold gusty winds.  I have no idea what the wind chill was except to say had I been out in the open & exposed to the cold wind I would have experienced hypothermia is short order.  I was v-e-r-y happy that the tent didn't flap & sway in the wind.  I should add, my Magma 10 Sleeping bag which was on my inflated NeoAir Thermarest XLite - Womens, kept me warm & cozy although I didn't sleep very much because of all the noise the gusty winds were making.  Shortly before the sun came up the winds died down & the day turned out to be calm with a nice gentle breeze all morning & afternoon until I reached the Thomas Creek Trailhead.   THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, for designing, engineering, & manufacturing two pieces of equipment that were essential to me comfortably getting through the cold gusty windy night.

Highlighted

Re: My Quarter Dome SL1

@AZClaimjumper thanks so much for this feedback! We have passed it along to our Co-op Brands team so they know their work is appreciated!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Featured