Highlighted

Half Dome 2 tent setup questions.

I had some questions about setting up an (older, original) Half Dome 2 tent I inherited. 

QUESTION #1: The instructions for the fly include:

step 2. "Connect fly to tent poles by attaching hook-and-loop wraps at the guyout points"

step 3. "At each corner, slip fly-tab grommet onto pole tip.  Then tighten all buckles"

In the photo I believe I am holding the "hook-and-loop wrap".  Where exactly does it go?  Would the tent strap in the 6 o'clock position be staked, and the half-loop I am holding go onto the stake?

1.jpg

QUESTION #2: The tent came with two grey, rectangular, thin pieces of fabric, about 30" x 34", each with 4 small black plastic hooks.  Where do these go?  One is pictured below:

3.jpg

QUESTION #3: There are four orange loops on the "orange tab" side of the fly, and two orange loops on the "black tab" side, each about half way up the fly.  Pictured below are the four loops on the "orange tab" side.  What are these for?

2.jpg

QUESTION #4: The tent came with six stakes and 4 guylines.  Would this be four stakes and guylines for each corner, and two stakes for the vestibules (using the built-in strap on each vestibule, instead of the guyline)?

Thanks for all the help.

Highlighted

@oakcedar 

QUESTION #1: The instructions for the fly include:

step 2. "Connect fly to tent poles by attaching hook-and-loop wraps at the guyout points"

step 3. "At each corner, slip fly-tab grommet onto pole tip. Then tighten all buckles"

In the photo I believe I am holding the "hook-and-loop wrap". Where exactly does it go? Would the tent strap in the 6 o'clock position be staked, and the half-loop I am holding go onto the stake?

"hook-and-loop wrap" is aka velcro.  So this refers to some velcro on the inside of the fly that you wrap around the pole to secure the fly to the tent.  Generally these correspond to loops on the outside of the fly that you can use to add extended guy lines for when it is stormy.  These are probably the orange loops you ask about in QUESTION #3.  The "loop" you are holding is just a handle for tightening the buckle that stretches the fly over the poles.  The orange webbing loops on coming out from the under the pole can optionally be used to stake out the corners of the tent which is useful when setting up when it is windy.

QUESTION #2: The tent came with two grey, rectangular, thin pieces of fabric, about 30" x 34", each with 4 small black plastic hooks. Where do these go? One is pictured below:

These are unusual.  Not sure why there are 2 but it might be a gear loft that hangs inside the tent...usually they are mesh though.   Possibly they are not from the tent.

QUESTION #3: There are four orange loops on the "orange tab" side of the fly, and two orange loops on the "black tab" side, each about half way up the fly. Pictured below are the four loops on the "orange tab" side. What are these for?

For additional guy lines.  See answer to QUESTION #1

QUESTION #4: The tent came with six stakes and 4 guylines. Would this be four stakes and guylines for each corner, and two stakes for the vestibules (using the built-in strap on each vestibule, instead of the guyline)?

It is a free standing tent so the only required stakes are for the two vestibules. As I mentioned above, sometimes it is useful to stake out the corners of tent.

However when it is rainy/stormy you will want guy out the ends of the fly using the loops on the edge and the corners using the loops from QUESTION #3 but you will need some additional guy line to do that.

You might find this useful for a general guide...

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/tent-set-up.html

Highlighted

Re: Half Dome 2 tent setup questions.

Ditto on the two squares. Maybe they are improvised ground clothes/footprints. In the first photo, I would put the end of the pole in the grommet for the fly and then in the grommet for the tent.

0 Likes

@oakcedar Thanks for the question and we're sorry your original message landed in our spam folder! Thanks for your patience as we moved it out of there.

@OldGuyot got all your questions. The 'hook and loop' tabs are on the inside of the fly to connect it to the tent poles, the grey fabric pieces are gear attics (there should be four loops on the ceiling of the inside of the tent for hanging) and @OldGuyot is correct that those appear to be from a different style of tent as the REI gear attics are typically made of mesh, and the orange fabric loops on the rain fly are for guylines in stormy weather. 

Thanks @OldGuyot@oakcedar feel free to reach out with any other questions!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured