Highlighted

Disposable Water Bottles Hack

If for some reason you find you have to use single use water bottles, or someone else does and you can get your hands on them, grab 6-12.    Re-fill them just over 3/4 and stick them in your freezer and Voila!   I use these in my cooler instead of bags of ice.  They last longer, they don't leak water into everything in the cooler, and in a pinch you have ice cold water to drink as they thaw. 

What other car camping hacks do you have for food prep and carry?

Highlighted

Re: Disposable Water Bottles Hack

I've done the same thing with gallon milk jugs, but your idea with the smaller bottles lends itself better to more flexibility in cooler-arrangement.

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn
Highlighted

Great quote!  Yea, the smaller bottles are a bit easy for the cooler.  I do throw in one or two that are about one quart, which seems to still be a usable size but stays frozen longer.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

I use 5l or 10l soft folding water bags for the same purpose. They conform to cooler shapes a bit better than gallon jugs. Just don't drop one, or the soft plastic WILL crack.

These bags are ideal for kayak camping, too -- just put a couple filled bags in a milk crate and strap it into the tankwell on the back of a sit-on-top. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Great idea!  I freeze two water bottles for long summer day hikes, one with Gatorade. One I keep inside my pack and it stays colder longer.  Also helps if there is an injury and you need ice.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

Another disposable water bottles hack: I use them in conjunction with a water bladder:

1. As a measuring cup to refill the bladder. Each bottle full is normally 0.5l.

2. It's often easier to get a bottle into a small sink than it is a bladder.

3. It's more convenient to refill a bladder using a bottle than it is to remove the bladder from my pack, then put it back in.

4. As an emergency reserve.There's no way to tell how much water is left in a bladder until it's empty. I carry a filled 0.5L bottle (or two) just in case.

...Wanderer
0 Likes
Highlighted

We use single use water bottles to carry our eggs. Each 16.9 oz. bottle holds 10 eggs. Just crack them into something with a pour spot and scramble them up a bit. We mark the bottle every two eggs so we pour just what we need. Sure beats carrying them in their shells!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I re-use the same 1 Liter sparkling water bottle daily. Pour in some tap water, throw it in the fridge and grab it out before heading out. I put stickers all over it and everyone knows it's mine and not to toss it out if I put it down and walk away. I've been re-using the same bottle for over 3 months now up here in the BWCA at work. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Just think of the weight saved!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

This is a really cool idea Smiley Very Happy thanks for sharing this hack!

0 Likes
Featured