Highlighted

Camping with kids

I'm married with two kids. One is 3 and one is about to be 6. We plan to take them camping for the first time in October. Does anyone have tips (general and specific)? I've camped many times growing up, but haven't in a long time. Therefore, I have no gear. We're starting from scratch. What should I buy? 

Re: Camping with kids

Hello there @BourbonBrother!

If you're going to hike with two kids, I can tell you that you definitely want to keep your hands free!  One of the best investments is a child carrier like the Kelty Journey Perfectfit Child Carrier or the Osprey Poco AG Child Carrier. One of the benefits of having a child carrier is that you can carry your toddler and hold your 6 year old's hand while hiking at the same time.  Don't forget to take a little container with cereal for the 3 year old to keep them busy and snacking during hikes!

For your 6 year old, REI has an adventure pack called the Carson Adventure Pak that is fun and educational!  

You can also bring an old camera for your child to carry and take pictures of interesting insects and plants.  Then you can go over their pictures together at the campsite and maybe come up with research you can do together later on when you have internet access. 

Make sure your children have some decent hiking shoes so they can have a great experience and memories. 

Since I assume you are car camping, bring a long marshmallow/hotdog roasting forks which are fun and safe because of the length.  

If you are going to share a sleeping bag, you can get a double sleeping bag, which I have and love!

We also have small sleeping bags for the kids like the REI Co-op Kindercone 25 or the REI Co-op Nodder 25 if you don't want to share bags with them.

You should definitely attend our family camping class at your local REI store.  There are a few other classes that may help you get back into the game!

If you have more questions or need more personalized information, you can always schedule a free outfitting session online.

Hope this helps...It's really awesome that you are getting back into camping and bringing your kids along to learn to love the outdoors!!

Stay safe and have fun,

SeleneB

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes

Re: Camping with kids

When choosing a tent for car camping,  if you want to be comfortable get one that is sized for 1 or 2 people more then you have and test the tent out with the sleeping pads you intend to use and make sure they fit before taking it out to camp.  Tents tend to be sized by the max number of adults that can fill the floor.  This number may only be true with sleeping pads that are about 20in X 72in.      

0 Likes