Highlighted

Camping during COVID-19

I live in a state, WV, and next to states, PA & OH, that have closed all state park campgrounds, even backcountry primitive campsites. All drive-in car camping sites are also closed. I want to get out and do some backpacking and/or camping but it is difficult to find any trails or areas where I can camp overnight. I might have to pitch a tent in my back yard. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Camping during COVID-19

@JohnI just looked at one of the 2 Dolly Sods Wilderness Face Book Pages, and it appears there are several posts from as late as 11 April, discussing and showing photos from hikes on that date.

So I'm not sure if it's 'open' or the 'stay at home order' sort of makes everything closed (?)

I think one of my first stops after this, is to photograph some of the small waterfalls along Seneca creek.

DSC02009.jpgDSC01908.jpgDSC01925.jpgDSC01943.jpgDSC01946.jpgDSC01993.jpg

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

Re: Camping during COVID-19

I love Dolly Sods. It is one of my favorite hiking and camping locations. Unfortunately, it is about a four hour drive from home for me and I have only two days and one night a week to get out, so I am looking for something closer. In addition, the forest road to the upper Sods, including Red Creek Campground and Bear Rocks is still closed dur to COVID-19. I am thinking about Quebec Wild Area in nearby Pennsylvania, about only 1 1/2 hours away.

Featured