cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Big Sur Camping and Activity Suggestions

Planning a camping trip to Big Sur for the fall. Looking for any suggestions on campsites (for tents), hikes, or other activities and points of interest. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Big Sur Camping and Activity Suggestions

@mochibutt Camping in Big Sur during the fall is fantastic! There is so much to do and see and the weather can be amazing during that time of year on the coast.

I really love Fernwood Campground and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. Some campgrounds are state parks, National Forest and there are also some that are privately run. Fall can still be considered peak season for Big Sur and that area is pretty popular so I would recommend making reservations as soon as possible. If you can do a midweek trip there will be less people around and more campgrounds to choose from. Nacimiento Campground is also another place you could check out that is first come, first served. It is a little off the beaten path but that can be nice when Big Sur is really busy.

Big Sur also has a ton of great hiking. Check out Andrew Molera State Park for a variety of hiking trails that never disappoint. It is always a good idea to check for trail closures and other updates for whatever particular area you choose to hike at. You will also want to keep the tides in mind, if beach hiking, as this can determine which trails you choose and what time of day you hike at.

As far as activities, Sand Dollar Beach and nearby Jade Cove are both worth the visit. They are about an hour drive from the campgrounds that I was suggesting but are worth the drive and you can spot Sand Dollars and Jade(if you are lucky)at those beaches. McWay Falls at Julia Pfieffer Burns SP is also worth viewing if you head south but I believe you will have to view from highway 1 as the hiking trail has been closed. Closest to Fernwood Campground and Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur State Park is Pfeiffer beach which has a purple sand beach and the iconic Keyhole Arch.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

@mochibutt Camping in Big Sur during the fall is fantastic! There is so much to do and see and the weather can be amazing during that time of year on the coast.

I really love Fernwood Campground and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. Some campgrounds are state parks, National Forest and there are also some that are privately run. Fall can still be considered peak season for Big Sur and that area is pretty popular so I would recommend making reservations as soon as possible. If you can do a midweek trip there will be less people around and more campgrounds to choose from. Nacimiento Campground is also another place you could check out that is first come, first served. It is a little off the beaten path but that can be nice when Big Sur is really busy.

Big Sur also has a ton of great hiking. Check out Andrew Molera State Park for a variety of hiking trails that never disappoint. It is always a good idea to check for trail closures and other updates for whatever particular area you choose to hike at. You will also want to keep the tides in mind, if beach hiking, as this can determine which trails you choose and what time of day you hike at.

As far as activities, Sand Dollar Beach and nearby Jade Cove are both worth the visit. They are about an hour drive from the campgrounds that I was suggesting but are worth the drive and you can spot Sand Dollars and Jade(if you are lucky)at those beaches. McWay Falls at Julia Pfieffer Burns SP is also worth viewing if you head south but I believe you will have to view from highway 1 as the hiking trail has been closed. Closest to Fernwood Campground and Pfeiffer Beach Big Sur State Park is Pfeiffer beach which has a purple sand beach and the iconic Keyhole Arch.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Thank you for all the suggestions! Can't wait to go!

0 Likes