Highlighted

Best way to reattach tent tabs and reseal tent seams

The tabs to hold the rain fly open on my half dome T2 are falling off. They appear to have been attached to the tent with the same substance sealing the corner seams, which is also drying up and coming off in granular fashion. Is seam sealer the right substance to use to re-attach them? Do I have to remove the old, dried-upbseam sealer in the corners of the tent before resealing? If so, what is the best way to remove it?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Best way to reattach tent tabs and reseal tent seams

@ParkerJ thanks for reaching out! We've got an Expert Advice article with tips for common tent repairs - there's a section that specifically addresses how to re-treat seams - the quick answer is yes, you'll want to try to remove any bits of old sealant that have detached before cleaning with rubbing alcohol and applying the new seal.

In terms of the tabs, we'd recommend using a fabric glue/adhesive to reattach those.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Thanks for info and links. I assume the Halfdome is sealed with polyurethane, not silicone?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @ParkerJ - Yes, you are right! The Half Dome tents are sealed with polyurethane. Hope the resealing goes well! Let us know if you come across any more questions. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured