Highlighted

What are you missing about Marathon Monday?

Missing Boston’s most exciting day of the year today. My favorite part about the marathon is handing out bananas at Coolidge Corner. The energy is unlike anything else I’ve ever been a part of.  

What is your favorite marathon memory?

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: What are you missing about Marathon Monday?

@REI-MaxG Finishing!!  Especially marathon #3, for which I had trained long and hard.  logged a good time, finishing with my brother in a decent time -3:17

Highlighted

@hikermor Wow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,A 3:17 at Boston!

3 cheers for you!

Now get ready for September 14th and keep your toes crossed that it will occur.

What city to do you live in?

Coach Mark

0 Likes
Highlighted

@hikermor Congrats on all three marathons! As someone who has run multiple times, do you have any advice for others looking to trim minutes off their time? What, if anything, did you do differently prepping for #3?

0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-MaxG I miss receiving the bananas from YOU at Coolidge Corner!

Thanks for being a loyal volunteer and supporter!

Looking forward to seeing on September 14th.

Coach Mark

Highlighted

@Former community member My pleasure! I'm always so moved at how appreciative marathoners are, keeps me coming back every year. Plus, I'm much better at handing out bananas than am I at running!

See you out there in September! 

-Max 

0 Likes
Highlighted

A bit of clarification.  I ran my best time at the Dallas White Rock Marathon(1979/.  It wasn't even a qualifier for Boston that year.  But I was happy with it.

To answer Max  G -- the first marathon was the most difficult for me, but I did finish in under four hours.  Sore as all get out the morning after.  The second (a year later) was much better and I rebounded well.  My brother, running hos first marathon, was very sore the next day, just as I had been after my first.

Getting ready for #3, I trained more consistently and upped my weekly mileage a bit. Experience pays off.  Hopefully you will have pleasant areas in which to train - that was important for me.

Be sure you have good shoes with unworn heels.  That is crucial.  if you train adequately, the race itself will be less daunting.  I think there is a lot of psychology involved.

For me, there were many benefits to running and doing marathons.  Very active in our local SAR group at the time, marathon training prepped me for the sometimes strenuous work that SAR required.  There were other payoffs as well.

I am not running at present, awaiting the time when my hip replacement can be done.  Is my arthritis the result of marathon training and racing?  I don't know, but i could have been in very good shape running shorter distances, but I would do it again....