Highlighted

Live with Cal Academy Tonight| Camping Hacks with Liz & Tim

Hey Bay Area! Miss going to Cal Academy's NightLife? You can still attend...virtually from your home! Tonight's Virtual NightLife Vol. 5  is all about The Great Outdoors so you can bet REI will be there. Tune in to hear some camping hacks from REI Dublin's Liz & Tim. Drop any questions you have for them or share your camping hacks in action with us here. Tonight's event will also feature entomologist and ant expert, Dr. Brian Fisher and more! The event starts at 7 p.m.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Labels (1)
Highlighted

Re: Live with Cal Academy Tonight| Camping Hacks with Liz & Tim

Thanks for sharing this Courtney! 

On our camping hacks with Cal Academy last night, I shared one of my favorite back country meals - camp pizza! The simplest hack for this is to get a tube of biscuit dough that you can use for your pizza crust. However, if you want to save some weight, you can make your own dry pizza dough, and add water once you're at your campsite. Here's a step-by-step hack to making campsite pizza, including my recipe for your own pizza dough on the trail.

1. Mix in a baggie at home: 1 tsp active dry yeast + 2 cups flour.  

2. Pack 1 tsp of salt (but don't add to mixture above yet!)

3. Set up your campsite and get your filtered water

4. Add just under 1 cup filtered water to your bag

5. Knead flour/yeast with water until it's thoroughly mixed together

6. Set aside for a while (an hour is ideal) - set up the rest of your campsite, read a book....

**Start here if you're bringing a tube of biscuit dough**

7. Line your skillet/pot with oil and then work your dough into your skillet. Add the salt into the dough as you spread it on your skillet (if using your own dough)

8. Add in tomato sauce/paste

9. Add on cheese or any other toppings

10. Cover skillet with foil

11. Place over your camp stove - ideally on a low/medium heat if your stove simmers. Be sure to rotate skillet around so you're evening heating the base of the skillet. You should hear it start to sizzle! Rotate around for 5-10 minutes, check under foil to see if it's thoroughly cooked.

12. Enjoy!!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Featured