Highlighted

Re: What’s the best way to shed 10 lbs pack weight?

Agree with starting with the big 3 to shave weight. You might consider this stove, or one similar. Cons: takes a bit longer to cook than liquid fuel stoves. You’ll want to practice with it before heading afield. Pros: rarely can you not find fuel, weight and space saver because you’re not lugging along liquid fuel/fuel bottles. 

https://www.rei.com/product/139468

0 Likes
Highlighted

You're on the right track and all of the suggestions are good. Sounds like the only one you haven't already done is a 40-45 degree bag instead of 3 season. I picked up a "guide to ultralight backpacking" years ago and thumbed though it. The best thing it said was to buy a digital scale and a Sharpie...weigh EVERYTHING and mark the weight on each item. Ounces countses. AquaMira treatment drops or Sawyer water filter for can save about a pound alone over a heavy water filter, besides the time it takes to filter water along the trail, as can lightweight water bladders like the Platypus. Quit cooking food: don't even boil water. A stopwatch and a tiny tea kettle over a tiny stove can heat water to ~ 180-190F in a couple min, enough to rehydrate a hot meal. A digital instant read thermometer plays double duty as a weather instrument and cooking aide that rations fuel.  

Highlighted

I have been thinking that the best way for me to shed 10 lbs pack weight would be for me to lose 10 lbs.  Is my thinking correct?

Haha. This is actually the reason why I went on a diet. 

Highlighted

Same! But I don't want to get too ambitious; I stay much warmer now than I did when I was 20lbs lighter, which allows me to save weight on my sleep system and clothing layers. 🙂 

Highlighted

@TonydavidWhile not technically "pack weight" it is weight that you pack. I dropped 90 lbs and tripled the distance I can backpack. I've also lightened my pack weight by about 50%. I'm amazed at how much difference it makes.

Highlighted

Yes, but don't just lose weight,  exchange fat for muscle.  Specifically work 4 muscle groups.  Abdominals and paraspinals (back muscles) for supporting the weight of your pack, quads for going down hill and gluts for going up hill.  If you have a gym membership, they will have lots of machines to target these individual muscle groups.  If you don't, you can do wall squats progressing to single leg wall squats progressing to single leg squats progressing to single leg squats with your pack on.  For your gluts you can do bridges progressing to single leg bridges progressing to single leg bridges with a 1 minute hold.  For your core muscles, elbow planks progressing to elbow planks with your pack on should do.  

I also suggest using 2 treking poles.  They will take about 25% of the weight off your legs.  I also add extra padding to my shoulder straps and hip belt using wool seat belt shoulder harness covers.  Just use a hot melt gun to hold them in place.  It's usually not the weight that bothers us so much as it is the pressure points where that weight makes contact with our bodies.  Namely our hips and shoulders.

So all my reccomedations have been to either exchange weight or add weight, but in all these cases the added weight will produce more than it will cost.

Highlighted

I used to race motorcycle in Superbike class. I looked at myself first. Do I have some pounds to shed? Giving up some unnecessary weight on me is probably much better in the long run than saving 9 ounces here or there especially since the little bit of Ultralight gear I have (tent being the most expensive item) compromises some reliablitiy. My ulteralight tent I would never take on an AT through hike but is fine for shorter backbacks.

I don't stress about shedding ounces but I do consider the weight when purchasing. For example, I purchased a single wall tent for mountaineering to replace a double wall and shed close to two pounds. Expensive? Yes and limited only to cold weather adventures. But I don't compromise on my 10 essentials, first aid kit, nutrition, safety, comfort and reliability that could put others at risk in additon to myself.

Bill G

aka Weekapaug Groove

MC181Racer

Highlighted

I have often wondered how much those Ur sacks are useful against a bear.  A friend had one on a mountaneering trip, and his crampons "got out" and destroyed the Ur Sack... Bears teeth have to be worse than crampons... right?

Another thought I can't get out of my head is the food will be completely crushed and not very edible once a bear is done with a sac.... 

Am I wrong?  Missing something?  Any real world testimonials out there?

0 Likes
Highlighted

I agree, water is the heaviest thing you carry.  Know where your next fill-up will be, the reliability of it,  and filter enough water to get from point to point.  Drink lots of water at the source where you are filtering from to reduce some of what you need to carry to the next source.