Highlighted

Universal footprints compatible with Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 Footprint

Just ordered Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 and don't really want tot drop $60 on the footprint. Which universal footprints are compatible with my new tent?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Universal footprints compatible with Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 Footprint

@markjake Thanks for reaching out!

The only universal footprint we carry is the MSR Universal Footprint 1, which is designed to fit multiple one person MSR tents, not necessarily other brands. The dimensions for the footprint made for the Copper Spur HV UL1 is 84" x 34"/24" (it tapers at one end) and the dimensions for the MSR is 83"x28". 

Another consideration is that the Big Agnes footprint has buckles that connect to the fly if you are interested in a fly-footprint pitch option (without the tent body). Also, the grommets on the Big Agnes footprint are designed to match up with the tent poles to provide a taught pitch and prevent the footprint from moving under the tent.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@markjake  Imo the BA factory footprint is worthwhile and adds to the function of the tent. 

However if you are on a tight budget you can make a footprint from Tyvek or duck window film footprint (aka polycro or similar) .  Tyvek is not completely waterproof but is tough if a bit heavy.  Polcro is light, waterproof and tough but prone to sudden splits at stress points so having straight cuts and maybe reinforcing the edges with tape is a good idea.  Both are a bit on the crinkly side but Tyvek can be quietened by washing it in washing machine. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks @OldGuyot  and @REI-JohnJ. I think I'll try with a homemade footprint and see how it goes.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Yep, make your own.

also an option, slice open the sides of an industrial strength trash bag and lay flat

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

got my tent @ REI garage sale on a steep discount. Staff recommended heavier window insulating film. Haven't used it yet but no way would I feel okay spending $70 on the BA footprint!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@markjake I was going to recommend that same thing, but @OldGuyot beat me to it!

I've made footprints out of Tyvek and duck window film.  My first one was out of Tyvek and I spent a lot of time making it JUST right.  I followed directs similar to these (https://kandtadventurizing.wordpress.com/2014/05/27/diy-tyvek-tent-footprint/) and even punched some grommets in for my tent poles.  Once that footprint saw its last trip, I ended up going with the duck window film.  Although I enjoyed making the tyvek footprint, I'd recommend the duck window film for simplicity.

Highlighted

@tadoerner, hey there, good post!  I'm fan of dyi footprints, but am unfamiliar with duck window film, I googled it and watched the manufacturers video, interesting concept.

And I learned something today!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

@Philreedshikes Awesome!  Always enjoy hearing about and experiencing continuous learning of the outdoors!  I personally am a fan of the duck window film because it's more readily available than Tyvek (sold at walmart, etc), it is cheaper, more light weight, and easier to fold and store in your pack.  It isn't as durable as most tyveks, but you can always bring a back up if you're concerned about having a stick or small rock poke through...but as with most other footprints, clearing out your camp area is always recommended.

Highlighted

For my Six Moons Luna Solo, I made a Tyvek footprint using packing tape and Coghlans plastic snap-n-tap-grommets in the corners so I can stake it out. There are probably lighter weight grommets which may be self piercing but I had those lying around. I did not do the washing machine softening thing.

I also bought the thicker 1.5mil Duck Window film with intentions but have not got around to trying it.  Grommets are optional so I'm not clear how PolyCryo is simpler.

One tip...Make sure to mark which side is UP so you keep the dirty side away from your tent or whatever you put on it.

That all said,  BA footprints are a bit pricey but they do add functionality to the tent beyond protecting the bathtub from dirt and abrasion because they can enable you to easily set up the tent fly first/last or use the shelter fly only without the body... a light weight option if insects are not an issue.  Personally I think they are worthwhile and I have them for my BA tents... I just buy them when they are on sale.  Silnylon is tough, fairly light, quiet and waterproof. It packs up well, is not prone to mildew. You can abrade silnylon on rough rocks if you let it move around too much so you do have to be a bit careful when placing it.  Apart from that it tends to stretch rather than puncture...an after dark pitch had me sleeping on a pine cone which left an indent but did not puncture it  One complaint about the BA footprints is they don't have UP clearly marked.

0 Likes
Featured