Highlighted

REI Quarter dome T1 and T3: polyurethane or silicone coating

I purchased both the Quarterdome T1 and T3 in 2009.  The seams in the tent body need to be repaired as well as the rainfly.  I understand that one needs to use the correct seal sealant based on whether the fabric is polyurethane or silicone treated

My searches shows that the rainfly on the T1 silicone treated.  However, I do not want to assume that the tent body seams are also silicone treated.

So the question for both the Quarter Dome T1 and T3.  Are both the tent body and rainfly silicon treated.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: REI Quarter dome T1 and T3: polyurethane or silicone coating

Hey @duc900ss ,

That's a great question! I am going to look into both of those tents and find out for you. Once I find out the fabric on both of them I'll let you know!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

@duc900ss Thanks for reaching out!

We connected with our tent team and they believe that the outside of your rainfly is sealed with silicone, while the inside of the rain fly and your tent are likely treated with polyurethane. What condition are the seams? Are they flaking off and needing to have the treatment removed? Or are you just looking to re-seal them as is?

Thanks for your patience as we tracked down this info!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Hello @REI-JohnJ...Yes, the seams are flaking off.  The coatings (rainfly and tent) both look fine...Just that seams on both are flaking like dandruff!  Hence the question to determine which product I need to purchase to repair both the T1 and T3 tents and rainfly's.  I appreciate your investigation!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@duc900ss Thanks for your patience as we gathered all the information we needed!

To start, your seams are sealed with polyurethane. As such, you'll want to use a product like Gear Aid Seam Sure Water-Based seam sealer to retreat the seams after you clean them with isopropyl rubbing alcohol and a sponge. You can read about the process in this Expert Advice article, How to Waterproof a Tent

Hopefully this helps, good luck!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

JohnJ...thanks very much!! Cheers...

0 Likes
Highlighted

@duc900ss  I've used silicon to treat my QDT2 for years, works alright.

I mix a 50/50 blend of silicon and mineral spirits into a slurry, then brush it on with a small paint brush.  Very fast and very cheap technique.  I get a tube of clear silicon from my local hardware store.

I learned this technique from tarptents.com. (credit where credit is due)

Or, you can use a can of spray waterproofing, purchased at walmart for about $5 (?) and just coat the whole darn thing, not just the seams.

good luck

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

I appreciate the suggestion...Many thanks...

0 Likes
Featured