Highlighted

Osprey backpacks

I am a new hiker. I am a female, 5’6 medium build. I am going to hike Machu Picchu and need a backpack. 4 days, 3 nights.  I have a porter who will be carrying the tent and sleeping bag. I’m looking at the Osprey Sirrus 36 and Mira 34. Can someone help me decide? Or recommend others?

0 Likes

Re: Osprey backpacks

Also, I do want a hydration sleeve. 

0 Likes

I've used Osprey packs almost exclusively for the last 7 years in our nature school. Love them. We've had the Sirrus 36 and like all the great features. Not sure about the hydration sleeve as we don't use that. Have you been fitted so you know which size? 

0 Likes

Hi @mschristine .

I have an Osprey Stratos 26, National Parks Edition, which was a limited edition REI exclusive.  The Stratos is the men's version of the Sirrus, and the 26 is slightly smaller capacity, but has nearly identical features.  I absolutely love the comfort and the features of my Stratos, and would highly recommend it.  I can also say that Osprey has great customer service.  A friend got a Talon that didn't fit him well, and Osprey sent him a strap extension at no cost.  While the Sirrus does not come with the hydration reservoir, it is set up for one.  I bought the Osprey reservoir and use it regularly.

I do agree with @PattiS that trying one on first would be best, as everyone's body type is different and so all packs fit people differently.  If a local REI store is not an option, make sure you measure your torso to get the closest to the proper fit as possible. 

Your Machu Picchu trip sounds amazing!  I hope you have an awesome time!

0 Likes