Highlighted

Osprey Backpack sized

Good Afternoon,

Several months ago I went to an REI and was fitted for an Osprey Atmos 65 in preparation for a backpacking trip later in the summer.  First backpacking trip in 30 years !!! The person helping me said I was an 18.5-19 big medium (medium for Ospreys).

I was hoping to purchase one during the next sale.  However, if the stores are still closed, do you think it is necessary that I go into a store since I have a size or is it safe to order one on line?  I ask because I wasn't sure if it was necessary to be fitted again with the actual backpack I purchase.

thanks

kyeperk

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Osprey Backpack sized

Hello @kyeperk !

Thanks for reaching out to us about your future purchase!  If you were fit for a pack in the store, the medium size is most likely a safe bet.  There are some nuances from pack to pack but if you are sticking with Osprey, the medium frame should give you the desired fit you are looking for. 

With that being said, if you order the pack and then stores reopen, feel free to bring it in for an expert opinion.  Also, you can take advantage of our virtual outfitting service for added confidence while stores remain closed.

Hope this helps and you have an awesome backpacking trip!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello @kyeperk !

Thanks for reaching out to us about your future purchase!  If you were fit for a pack in the store, the medium size is most likely a safe bet.  There are some nuances from pack to pack but if you are sticking with Osprey, the medium frame should give you the desired fit you are looking for. 

With that being said, if you order the pack and then stores reopen, feel free to bring it in for an expert opinion.  Also, you can take advantage of our virtual outfitting service for added confidence while stores remain closed.

Hope this helps and you have an awesome backpacking trip!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi, this is a really good question.  I am 67, retired, and attempting to complete the Appalachian Trail in sections (I'm currently at the 1,025 point). 

Because of a very active adult life and my age, I am starting to have issues with joints, etc.  And, my orthopedic doctor told me I needed to change from my old 1990's- model external frame backpack to a more modern and comfortable internal frame pack.  For older hikers, comfort and proper fit become even more important, and ultra-light is a term not generally used.

With that background, I want to purchase a new backpack, and feel STRONGLY I should try them on for comfort and fit before making a purchase.  Also, as a retiree, I'm looking for the best financial purchase as possible.  However, with the stores closed, that cannot happen.  Obviously, I could order my two top choices, but that would involve quite a capital outlay, and having to send one back once a choice was made, a choice that would be without the help and advice of an REI employee.

I was planning to wait for the annual May anniversary sale to make the purchase, but as of now, I do not know if that will happen.

As info, my current choices are (not in any order):

1. Osprey Atmos 65 AG

2. REI Traverse 70

3. One I don't know about - that would be suggested by a knowledgeable REI employee

I am more sharing than asking for advice here, and very much hoping the Anniversary sale will happen as normal.  This purchase is of such importance to me that having personal and direct help is a high priority. 

PoppaHiker
0 Likes
Featured