cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for small stove recommendations.

A small MSR fuel canister easily fits inside my Toaks titanium 750ml cup/pot, but the MSR PocketRocket (not the PocketRocket 2) will not also fit. I am looking for a stove that will work with the MSR fuel canister but is smaller than the Pocket Rocket. What do you recommend?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Looking for small stove recommendations.

The pocket rocket 2 is much smaller than the version 1. And the build quality it's still rock solid. There is an even smaller stove that you can find on amazon. It is made in China and gets fair reviews. It is much cheaper, and my friend has one but the build quality isnt as good as the msr pr2. He never had a problem with it but some of the reviews have said that the metal will bend/warp over time. 
My vote still goes to the msr pr2. It fits perfectly inside my titanium cup along with other parts of my kitchen setup. 

I have a pocket rocket 2 and I'm not sure there's anything more than slightly smaller. I use a toaks 650ml pot and just put the stove and a lighter in it and throw the canister in the pack loose.

From your reply, I assume you cannot fit both the PocketRocket 2 and a small canister in the 650ml Toaks, correct?

0 Likes

I've never tried to get a 110 gram canister in it. For some reason, it's dang near impossible to find one anywhere near me, so I always end up with the 230 gram ones. They're too big in diameter to fit in the pot. Is the pocket rocket you have much bigger than the pocket rocket 2?

The pocket rocket 2 is much smaller than the version 1. And the build quality it's still rock solid. There is an even smaller stove that you can find on amazon. It is made in China and gets fair reviews. It is much cheaper, and my friend has one but the build quality isnt as good as the msr pr2. He never had a problem with it but some of the reviews have said that the metal will bend/warp over time. 
My vote still goes to the msr pr2. It fits perfectly inside my titanium cup along with other parts of my kitchen setup. 

Thanks. I have looked at a coupkle of those cheap imports and they do not look nearly as solid. I am leaning toward the PR 2.

@John 

The most popular of the "cheap imports" is the BRS 3000...billed as the world's lightest canister stove -- something like 35g. They're insanely inexpensive, but here's the thing: they are way tougher and more capable than you might imagine. I have had mine for several years and have cooked literally hundreds of meals along with boiling water for coffee and have never had any real issues...no warping or leaks.

The only potential drawback is that the pot supports will eventually wear out the detents that hold them firmly in the open position, but this isn't really an issue because the pot will hold the supports in place even without the detents.

In a 750ml Toaks pot, I can hold a canister, the stove, and some cooking accessories with room to spare. 

I've had the BRS (cheap Titanium stove) for over a year now and used it for the entire John Muir Trail.  I also have a jetboil.  I picked up the BRS because I was more concerned at the time with shaving weight and while the BRS is not nearly as effecient as the Jetboil (meaning you have to carry an extra cannister if you cant resupply often enough) It definitely works just fine.  I feel like the negative press about the BRS stove is from people that try to put a large pot on it or try to actually cook on it.  This thing is like a Jetboil in that it works best for boiling water.  not for cooking bacon and pancakes. If you are planning to just boil water and are using a 450 to 750 cup it will work perfectly fine for you and will last a very long time.  

I opted for the PocketRocket 2, picking it up at the Labor Day sale for 25% off. It fits in my Toaks titanium 750 ml cup/pot but only if I do not use the plastic container that came with the PocketRocket 2.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have no use for that plastic container.  Wrap the PR2 inaluminum foil, which can thenbeset up as a wind screen,if necessary.