Highlighted

Lightweight Packs Less Than 50L

What is everyone's favorite ultralight backpack less than 50L for 3 nights of long-distance backpacking in the mountains?

My 4 year old Klymit Motion 35L is great for summer on the AT, but I am looking for something a tad bigger and a bit more rugged for Colorado.  My GraniteGear Crown is a great pack, but looking for the sweet spot in between it and my Klymit.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Lightweight Packs Less Than 50L

I love and swear by the Osprey Exos 58, but its little brother is the Exos 48. Both are super light, and have useful suspension systems that keep the pack (somewhat) off your back if you are carrying under 40 lbs. With Osprey you also get their almighty garuntee, so the pack should be well-protected. I've used my pack for both backpacking and mountaineering, and I have no doubt the smaller version is still fantastic. The women's equivalent is the Eja, but it should perform basically the same to the Exos.

Hope that helps!

"Not getting to the summit is not failure, it is an opportunity to go there again."
-Kilian Jornet-
Highlighted

Second the vote for osprey exos, lightweight, comfortable, probably maxes out at 40 due to the straps, most I have carried is 37 on the JMT. Holds a bear canister nicely 

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

Check out Zpacks and Hyperlite Mountain Gear (HMG) for top notch DCF (formerly cuben fiber) packs. I also really like my Cilo Gear pack. 

0 Likes
Featured