cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Let's talk Leave No Trace - Who uses a bidet when backpacking?

I ran a search on 'bidet' across this message board and was surprised to find no results except for the reply I posted to someone else's message. 

With the increasing numbers of people hitting popular trails, it's more important than ever to adhere to strict Leave No Trace principles, especially when it comes to pooping on the trail and toilet paper. There's nothing more disgusting than hiking through breathtaking and pristine landscapes such as the Sierra Nevada on the iconic John Muir Trail and encountering toilet paper creeping out of someone's poorly dug cat hole or toilet paper hidden underneath a rock (the ultimate act of pure laziness). 

Two years ago, I tried something new, and I'll never go back to my old ways. I started using a bidet instead of toilet paper, and it's been the best thing I've ever done. The bidet has become one of my most essential pieces of gear that I'll never go without. Here are the advantages, which outweigh the disadvantages of using a bidet:

Advantages

• You don't need to use toilet paper, which means you don't need to pack out that gross used stuff (yes, you should be packing it out!). I carry some as a backup in case I must camp in a location where there isn't any water. 
  • Your bum gets a nice clean wash up, and you don't' have to worry about a stinky rear.
  • In addition to the advantage mentioned above, using a bidet also eliminates butt chafe. Yes, it happens. Salty sweat + friction = butt chafe
  • If you're a girl and have to deal with 'that time of the month,' a bidet makes an awesome companion to having to clean up that nasty business.
  •  You have a makeshift shower ready to use! 

Disadvantages

• You need to be at a location where there is water. I carry toilet paper as a backup for any instances where it's dry.
  • You will have to carry an extra item, but my bidet is just over 2 ounces. It's not a big deal, and its usefulness is worth the weight. However, if you don't have to pack out used toilet paper, then you're actually saving some weight!

*Whether you choose to use a bidet or not, please make sure you ALWAYS bury your business at least 6-8 inches (deeper is better).

Does anyone else currently use a bidet? How many of you are considering using a bidet, but are afraid to try it? Anyone have questions but are afraid to ask in a public forum? You can send me a private direct message on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/go.ownit/). 

Re: Let's talk Leave No Trace - Who uses a bidet when backpacking?

Actually I mentioned the Brondell in a post reply on favorite items.  We used a couple of different brands and the Brondell worked the best for us. I think personal bidets are a fairly new idea to backpackers. I came across them watching various thru hike prep videos on you tube surprisingly all from male hikers.  Definately a good thing for avoiding chafing and reducing TP usage. Personally I found it works best with wipes since TP tends to fall apart when it gets too wet...sort of the point of a bidet. You have to pack it out anyway so just use something that works.

For female hikers I think the Kula Cloth is worth a look.  One of our party used one and I think it worked well for her but I haven't had a reason to ask her directly.

0 Likes

Here are some links for those interested...

Brondell gospa/easyspa

I think the difference is just the bottle color.  The gospa nozzle will screw onto a smart water bottle and similar as an alternative but I found it to be less effective

Kula Cloth

Surprisingly REI do not stock anything along these lines

0 Likes

Yeah, I use the Brondell too! I opted for a separate bidet bottle rather than the spout that you can attach to your SmartWater bottle because I don't want to contaminate my drinking bottle with feces. Yuck!

I don't use TP or wipes, I just wash well and use my trusty old bandana to dry (a separate bandana that I use just for hygiene purposes). 

0 Likes